1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! This is a long one, so get comfy.

I bought a Sig Sauer 1911 MAX from my LGS about a month ago and I feel that I am now capable of writing a real review on what this gun has to offer. Flashing back to about a month ago, I was wandering around my LGS looking at 1911s. I knew I wanted a reliable, well built 1911 that was full size, had few MIM parts and would be primarily used on the range. I was thinking along the lines of a Dan Wesson, but good luck finding one sitting on a shelf and I am not patient enough to wait a year (or honestly even a few months) to get one. As I am walking by the Sig case, I notice they have a new 1911: The 1911 MAX. The skeltonized hammer and aggressive style immediately caught my eye. After getting it in my hands, I realized it was different, but why? So I went home and did a little research. I say a little because there really isn't that much out there as far as reviews go. I must admit, I was a little hesitant at first due to the lack of reviews, but Sig does have a good reputation and if it falls way short, Exeter is only 3 hours from me so it's no big deal to go yell at them in person. What I got from the Sig website is that it has an EGW sear and firing pin, a Koenig speed hammer, a Dawson ICE magwell and front fiber optic sight, an adjustable rear sight, a flat trigger and it comes with 2 Wilson Combat mags (score!). Their website also states that these guns are actually made by their custom shop so I attributed the lack of reviews to be from the fact it JUST hit the shelves. As far as I can tell, the only MIM parts are the disco, slide lock, safety levers and the mag release. I am none too concerned about any of these parts being MIM, however I may get the disco replaced with a bar stock part when I get a trigger job, but more on that later. From what I already knew about Sig 1911s, with these parts and the attention to detail that comes from the custom shop, this might actually be better than a Dan Wesson. The final bit of information that sold me on this gun is that Max Michel himself took one of these guns, did a trigger job and then won area 6 of the USPSA. So I went back and $1,400 (including tax) later I was the proud new owner of a Sig Sauger 1911 MAX!

The overall craftsmanship is much higher than all but the best 1911s they have for sale (e.g. ED Brown, Wilson Combat) so I am inclined to believe Sig when they say that the custom shop does the work. The LGS only had 1 Kimber that could hold a candle to overall fit and finish. Speaking of fit, the slide to frame fit is TIGHT! They really did a great job here, no rattle and very little play that only comes when the internals are removed. I thought the G10 Chain-link grips might be too aggressive for my taste when I first bought the gun, but they have grown on me and really provide a solid grip. The Dawson Ice magwell is also a great feature and not only helps with reloads, but it keeps your hands high on the grip which I like. The EGW sear and Koenig hammer are SOLID, great parts and in my opinion, are left untouched because this IS a comp gun, so everyone who plans to use it as such has their own preference for trigger weight and feel. They are both left "unfitted" if you will, so you can get them tailored to your liking (it's always easier to remove metal than it is to try and add some back). That being said, the trigger pull is still smooth and the break is like glass. There is a little bit of a 2 stage feel, but that is due to the series 80 parts and no trigger job yet. The weight is at about 6lbs based on comparing it to other guns I have. I plan on getting my regular smith to get me down to around 2.5-3 and smoothing out the overall feel (As a side note, every gun I have gets trigger work (except for the Kahr) so for me this is a non issue). One last note on the hammer, due to the extreme weight reduction, the hammer has two spurs that act like a tuning fork, so every time you send it home while dry firing, it fills your ears with a sweet ring: It's awesome. The fiber optic front sight is very bright outdoors, but at the range it is just a dull red dot, which is the flaw of fiber optics. The rear sight is great. It takes a couple of adjustments to break it in, but once it is the dials are very easy to move. There was one issue I had as far as finish is concerned, and it really is my only complaint about the gun, there is a scratch in the shape of an arc under the right side ambi safety. Sig ambi's break down differently than most. You actually remove the left side first and then the right, so I assume this was cause by someone other than Sig attempting to break down the gun (LGS!?!?). I didn't notice it until I was cleaning the gun for the first time, but to me it's not that big of an issue. I use my guns, I don't own safe queens. If I don't have wear marks within a few months I consider it a bad purchase because I'm obviously not shooting it enough. If minor scratches kill it for you, then make sure the one you're about to buy doesn't have any.

Now for what you all came to hear: How does it shoot? One word; butter. This thing is just awesome. I haven't shot a 1911 since I was in the Marines so it has been over 5 years, but from what I remember, this feels better. The gun is superbly accurate, at least more so than I am. First few shots out of the box hit right where I wanted them to and the recoil is nothing. By nothing I mean compared to my Kahr PM-45 that I carry and that has very low felt recoil for a "pocket" gun in .45. Unfortunately, my range won't let me rapid fire so I can't speak to what I assume will be one of the strong suits of this gun: Speed of follow-up shots. I have about 500 rounds through it now and will probably do another 500 the next month or two. In the interest of full disclosure, I have had a few FTFs, but they are directly attributable to operator error. I am a lefty, so every once in a while my thumb will hit the slide stop on the right side thus backing it out a bit and causing an FTF. Other than that I have had no FTEs or light hits or anything.

In closing, I am more than satisfied with this purchase. I really do love this gun, the way it looks, the way it runs and the way it feels. I think Sig really knocked it out of the park with this one. I could not be more thrilled with the performance and quality of mine. I have read some conflicting reports about quality and fit, so I really hope those are unfounded. I would hate for a gun this good to be ruined by spotty QC. Just check out each gun thoroughly before you buy it to ensure you're getting one of the better ones. I hope this review will fill the void in info out there and help others reach a decision on whether or not to get one and if you haven't guessed already, my recommendation is buy one ASAP before everyone else who reads this does!

Just a few more notes:
-If you want to convert this gun to a regular 1911 (e.g. remove the magwell), you need a new mainspring housing as the one it comes with is longer than normal to house the screw that holds the magwell on.
-If you decide to carry this gun after adding a new MSH, you will also need a new hammer and preferably new front sights. That's it (if carrying a 5" govt. is your thing. It's not mine.)
-The 1911 MAX comes with either a normal ambi safety or a tactical (oversized) ambi safety. They had both at my LGS.

Now the Pics:

In the Case

The 26 LPI front strap is, In my opinion, perfect. It's neither too aggressive nor too fine.

First mag at 25ft, I'll take that OOB! I called the flier low right and the low left one I was aiming at that target at 50ft!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Nice review except for 2 facts. Sig's custom shop does not make production guns. All guns with the custom shop logo are assembled by the assembly line.

Also, they don't just drop in the sear and hammer because they want to leave YOU with enough meat to do a trigger job or have one done. They do that because they are made on the assembly line.

I really hope that it doesn't look like I'm trying to blow up your review. I'm really not. I just don't want anything but the truth posted here. I feel you guys deserve it.

No matter where it is assembled in the plant, I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda funny, never knew that they branded assembly line guns with the custom shop logo. I think that would deter more people from their actual custom shop. To your second point,that would make more sense. Either way it's getting a trigger job like I said. I knew that before I even touched it.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure that will help others as well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Very nice review and pictures. Mr. Maxx looks like he will give you years of great service. I like the flat trigger and grips they put on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks gentleman. Purchased one. About 400 rds through. Wondering if my ftf,fte, are due to my grip,as I am lefthanded as well.Will be watching that closely. Trying different ammo, seems to be improving with break in.Accuracy, blows my mind!Recoil, almost absent. Follow ups,sweet.Very happy with purchase.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine has been flawless since Day 1 even with my JHP reloads. I like the feel of the gun and it shoots great. A better shooter than me took it at 25 yards and put all 10 rounds in the 10 ring.

The only changes I made were to put a traditional magwell on and a recoil master (something I have in all my 1911's).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have one over a year now and used it in several matches, not a complaint. Have a Kimber Grand Raptor and find overall the Max a step above it. Flat trigger took some getting used to but now considering putting it into a couple of my other 1911.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was one statement you made had to go over to Sigs' site and check, the disconnect, have bought separately the EGW competition set, which Sig used to mention on the site, is part of the package. It is sold as a 2 piece set, would find it strange to use one part made extremely well and pair it with a 'common' integral part. Seems that is more a editting error in the description.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm a little late reading this I suppose but a very good review thank you. Iced used EGW parts including the hammer sear set up its amazing. I think for the money you get some really nice features. I'm shopping for a new 1911 considering a Sig as I am a big Sig classic fan. Most of my other 1911's are Springfield, and I like some of the new stuff colt has been offering too. Anyway good review thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I am new to the sight and just over my first year owning handguns. At 50 I am a late handgun owner but better late than never. I am in need of some help, I bought Sig Max in 9mm and the trigger is sloppy (bought new) is the trigger able to be adjusted to take slack out? My 2 Springfields are tight and fantastic. Please help if you can. Thank you, Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts