1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the forum several months ago to do some lurking and reading. I bought an XD45 compact to carry and went that route based on several factors. I didn't want to drop $900 on the Kimber CDPII Pro I was checking out. Since it was going to be my first semi auto and a carry gun, I wanted to start with something that was a little less pricey to learn about and something that wasn't going to need any work at all to be 100% reliable. Not that 1911s aren't, but anyway, that's the route I went.

Fast forward to yesterday. I walked into a local shop I hadn't been in for quite a while and they're blowing everything out for the end of the year and getting rid of inventory.

I've still had the itch to get a 1911 from day one, and lo and behold they have quite a few in with excellent prices.

A NIB DW Pointman 7, the last one they had in the store, had a sticker price of $699. Came home, checked with the wife, all was good, and went back and put a deposit on it. (The wife wants to get through Christmas before paying the rest of it.)

I'm pumped to finally get a 1911 and surprised to find one this nice at that price. I was originally planning on starting with a GI model and eventually swapping out parts and upgrading as I went. With the DW being only $200 more than the Springfield GI stainless, I was more than willing to pay the extra two bills for it.

Now that I actually have a 1911, I expect I'll be around more often.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
That's a good price for NIB! Good deal! Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

·
Registered
662 Posts
NICE find! That's a great price. I think you'll love it, congrats on a good purchase. Let us know what you think of it.

Chevy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just glad the wife was ok with it. I already bought another $600 gun back in April and she already gave me a Christmas present early in a Summit hunting tree stand. I feel like I'm getting my birthday (Oct.), Anniversary (Mar.), and possibly next year's Christmas on credit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
.45. I was thinking about getting a 5" polymer gun in 9mm for cheaper ammo and something manageable for the wife to shoot, but I've been wanting a 1911 for a while. I'm going to start reloading here shortly so the price of ammo won't be as much of an issue and it will be convenient to keep both semi autos in the same caliber. I can work a load up that's manageable for the wife as well. Having a gun that weighs 10 ounces more than my XD will be a help with recoil, too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop also had several other 1911s with good prices.

3 Springfields:
5" Parkerized GI - $449
5" Stainless GI - $499
5" Stainless Loaded - $699

With the DW being the same price as the Loaded, liked the DW better.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
You bought the pick of the litter. There is no reason for your wife not to be able to shoot the Pointman, especially if you reload.

Be careful though, she may want to claim it for herself.

Enjoy,
Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
jtkratzer,
Awesome deal! You must be livin' right to find that one and a wife who's on board too. Be sure to do something extra special for her (the wife). ;)
Happy shooting,
Bruce

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of now, she's refused to take any ownership of it. So, that's good for me I guess...

We're keeping our eyes open for a piece of jewelery involving Tahitian pearls and more thank likely diamonds with it. We're also house shopping, so...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, seems to be a wealth of information on this forum.

·
Registered
188 Posts
jtkratzer said:
Thanks, seems to be a wealth of information on this forum.
Welcome! What a find at that price! I paid $200 more and thought I had a deal. I still don't regret that. I love my PM7 as it is the nicest shooting 45 I have ever shot. Some minor work (Mods) are in the near future for me right after Xmas. :rock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GW45NUT said:
Welcome! What a find at that price! I paid $200 more and thought I had a deal. I still don't regret that. I love my PM7 as it is the nicest shooting 45 I have ever shot. Some minor work (Mods) are in the near future for me right after Xmas. :rock:
Care to share what you're getting done?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like all the others, but here's a picture finally:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts