1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I finally bought my first gun. I've been wanting a gun forever but just couldn't decide what to get. But when I saw a Springfield 1911 at a gun show I just couldn't resist. So now I'm a proud new owner of a Springfield 1911A1. I admit I'm new to the 1911 community. I'm not sure if its a true Mil-Spec or a G.I. it says both on the box. I'll post a picture of it. So i guess my question is what can i do to improve upon in. I'd like to add some very light modifications. One thing I noticed was that the magazines it came with are horrible so I ordered several new ones. Also, i think nights are definetely a must. And originally I wanted an all black one, but mine is black with brown grips. I'd like to change the grips to black. Are there any websites you guys can recommend where I might can find what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is the GI version.

Mil Spec most notably has the serrations in the back that are swept forward.

That is my Mil Spec.

Both great guns though!

Your gun looks great!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brownells.com and midwayusa.com both are excellent sites for 1911 parts. Brownells puts out a 1911 only catalog.

Surf around for a bit to see what you like and what you might want to change. There are tons of pictures of what you can do to a GI, from a little modification to extreme (as in my case). I have several threads where I share my modifications.

Congrats on the purchase. Shoot it a bunch and have fun. You may find you want to keep it stock. At some point I am going to look for an early original, maybe Colt, Remington Rand, etc.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Romeohod said:
Well,

I finally bought my first gun. I've been wanting a gun forever but just couldn't decide what to get. But when I saw a Springfield 1911 at a gun show I just couldn't resist. So now I'm a proud new owner of a Springfield 1911A1. I admit I'm new to the 1911 community. I'm not sure if its a true Mil-Spec or a G.I. it says both on the box. I'll post a picture of it. So i guess my question is what can i do to improve upon in. I'd like to add some very light modifications. One thing I noticed was that the magazines it came with are horrible so I ordered several new ones. Also, i think nights are definetely a must. And originally I wanted an all black one, but mine is black with brown grips. I'd like to change the grips to black. Are there any websites you guys can recommend where I might can find what I'm looking for.
If you dont mind me asking, what did you give for it? I am interested in a used GI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts