1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After ordering my upper and lower seperately to save some money, I finally have everything in and assembled (and shot :) ).

I ordered the 18" upper & high rise scope mount from ADCO (very good service by the way). The lower was to come from ADCO too, but I had some major inconveniences from my local dealer.

I topped it off with my Bushnell 4 x 12 that outclasses my two Leupold scopes; and ordered two refinished Colt 20 rd. mags with aluminum followers from a guy on arfcom.

After assembly and some function testing I stepped out back on my 50 yard range and did some informal sighting in. Dead accurate at 50, and what suprised me was the neat little pile of brass that landed four feet behind me at 5 o'clock.

Now I'm looking around the house for a good place to shoot 100 yards without killing any of the neighbors, I don't think I'm going to find a spot. I'll have to wait for the weekend to make it to the range.

Overall impression: WHY DIDN'T I BUY ONE OF THESE YEARS AGO!

·
Registered
346 Posts
J Taylor said:
After assembly and some function testing I stepped out back on my 50 yard range and did some informal sighting in.
Man......some guys have it made. I wish and hope I can "step out back" on my very own range someday. Along with being a 1911 fan, I'm also into AR15's as well and have to say that you have a very nice piece there!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Finally complete: My RRA Varmint AR-15

Sgt. Gravy said:
Man......some guys have it made. I wish and hope I can "step out back" on my very own range someday. Along with being a 1911 fan, I'm also into AR15's as well and have to say that you have a very nice piece there!
Well, I usually can only get away with shooting .22's around the house. But, the neighbors are a bit desensitized to gunfire from all the deer hunting lately, so I got away with it. I'm planning a move in the next few months to get a hold of a little more land so I can do all my shooting at home.

Thanks for the complements, my AR is blushing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, one thing I wanted to ask you Dubb,

How much weight do you think I could trim off that barrel with some deep fluting?

It weighs 8.5 lbs. as is. I'd love to knock that down a notch or two.

Also, would bead blasting take the shiny finish off the barrel? This rifle is going to see a lot of time hunting down wile coyotes at the family farm, and in my experience, having something that shiny will work against me.

Thanks, J

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
J,

Fluting the barrel wouldn't make a noticable difference in weight. In fact, it would probably compound your light reflection issue by creating more corners to catch, and cause reflection.

A bead blasting would certainly dull the finish a bit. We have bead blasted stainless barrels on our SPR-type rifles with good results.

Be well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I just finished putting together a very similar one. I went with a 20” upper, Harris SBR bipod, ARMS 22 rings, Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40 scope, G27 grip and a Jewell two-stage trigger. First time I took it to the range shooting targets got boring. So I setup 3 spent .308 cartridge cases on the 100-yard line. I hadn’t made final adjustments to the scope, so it took 5 shots to hit the first cartridge. The second cartridge took two rounds and I put a hole dead center through the third case with a single shot. This was using IMI M855 surplus ammo. These rifles are scary accurate. Can’t wait to see what it will do at 300 yards with some Black Hills match ammo.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the good replies and complements. Hopefully I'll make it out to do some longer range shooting this weekend. - J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts