1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy the Star Modelo Super(9by23) in a pawnshop for $200 and another 1911 (STYLE) gun of my choice:rock: What would you say is the closest recoil comparison to the 9mm Largo?

·
Registered
622 Posts
No, the 9mm Largo was, for practical purposes, a 9mm Luger with a longer case. My recollection is the the CCI Blazer loading was a 124gr bullet at 1190 fps. I think the Blazer 9mm Luger was 1150 fps (but working from memory - always hazardous!).

reloader

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks reloader, I am actually debating getting the Star Modelo Super or the Star BM? Same price give or take 15 dollars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I recall the 9mm Largo was more powerful. American ammo is always loaded somewhat more moderate. When SARCO was selling these they posted the figures on the 9mm Largo they were selling, it was more in the 38 Super range. So that would be like 9mm Luger +p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I recall the 9mm Largo was more powerful. American ammo is always loaded somewhat more moderate. When SARCO was selling these they posted the figures on the 9mm Largo they were selling, it was more in the 38 Super range. So that would be like 9mm Luger +p
Ok thanks, what would you or anyone rate the reliability of the Star modelo Super? I really want this gun but dont want another headache, I like the 1911 desighn and the caliber is also interesting, I have read that it is accurate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All I can say is that many of these are surplus guns, and my policy with anything that is used and surplus is to handle the one I buy, or make sure you get it from a dealer that doesn't tend to over rate their used guns and has a return or exchange policy. The latest gun I have REALLY recommended people do this with is the CZ82 guns coming out of the Czech Republic. Some look good and are worn out, and others show so much carry wear its scary and are still tight.

Just make sure the gun is not sloppy, that lockup is good and tight, and get extra mags for it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can say is that many of these are surplus guns, and my policy with anything that is used and surplus is to handle the one I buy, or make sure you get it from a dealer that doesn't tend to over rate their used guns and has a return or exchange policy. The latest gun I have REALLY recommended people do this with is the CZ82 guns coming out of the Czech Republic. Some look good and are worn out, and others show so much carry wear its scary and are still tight.

Just make sure the gun is not sloppy, that lockup is good and tight, and get extra mags for it.
Ok thanks, ill check it out good and make sure it doesn't feel loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts