1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:biglaugh: Finally got a Wilson to choke. I have 500 Lee 200 gr SWC, that I need to get rid of. Hate the things, never been able to find a gun that will shoot them. Colts, Kimbers, SA, AMTs, and now wilsons. Fired 300 of them today, My Wilson CQB choked twice out of 150 rounds, one was the first round out of the mag, first round fired on the day, FTGIB, and another was in the middle of a mag. My stainless classic choked twice on them also. I only have 200 rounds left, and they will be gone. Hated to use them, but did not want to waste them or recast them. Now I can use my Lyman 200 gr SWC and Lyman round nose. Have never had a failure with these two bullets in over 50,000 rounds that was not the fault of the reload being out of spec, mostly a split case here and there that I did not catch when loading the mags. I use them for my carry loads at different times, if I have too, when I do not have access to my hollow point loads.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I take it you don't have a S&W 625? The fact the Wilson shot 148 out of 150 is pretty good if your other 1911s' don't like them either. Good excuse for malfunction practice if nothing else.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) You are right, something good in everything. I do need the malfunction practice. No I don't have a Smith wheelgun in 45 acp

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's some ways that the 200g SWC bullet can enable a bad round. Wilson's specs for that loaded bullet, include OAL of 1.250 and a tapercrimp of .469"

It would be interesting to know the measurements of those loads with the Lee 200g SWCs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Finally, finally, I heard one of you guys say something bad about a Wilson. I can not imagine it not feeding those stupid pills.
I know, I know, nothing else will feed them, yeh, right, it did go nearly 150 of them before it choked.
Wilson, nothing but junk.
By the way, if you need to unload that gun, you can just PM me. I will help you take care of it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wilson to Choke

I got my CQB to choke on Hornady jacketed 200 gr. SWC. Of course I wasn't paying attention to Wilson manual. This bullet on not recommended list.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I don't mean to hijack a thread about those aweful unreliable Wilsons :) but can you please clarify this for me? You mean 200 grainers cast with Lee molds don't feed well?

What's the goldstandard for a mold to cast a HG68-style 200grain SWC? I'm gearing up for casting and want to make sure I get good molds. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a RCBS mould, and have found that if the crimp is not right, it may have trouble chambering rounds. use a Lee factory crimp die, and set it to .469, and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) All my reloads are the right length with the right crimp, loaded to spec and loaded on a Dillon1050. I have no problem with Lymans 200 gr SWC, they feed perfectly, even through they are not the same as the HG 68, I have also used the HGs, and they function perfectly. Also, this thread is not a knock on Wilson Combat, Their guns function better than any other 1911 I have ever shot, just not with the Lee bullet, and I can't make any 1911 I own shoot it reliablely.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
:) All my reloads are the right length with the right crimp, loaded to spec and loaded on a Dillon1050. I have no problem with Lymans 200 gr SWC, they feed perfectly, even through they are not the same as the HG 68, I have also used the HGs, and they function perfectly. Also, this thread is not a knock on Wilson Combat, Their guns function better than any other 1911 I have ever shot, just not with the Lee bullet, and I can't make any 1911 I own shoot it reliablely.
Sandhills, my comment with respect to Wilsons, same as yours, was tongue in cheek :). Thanks for the suggestion on Lymans design 200gr SWC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts