1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I finally got my Makarov from SOG and I'am very pleased with my purchase! SOG has them listed as being in good to very good condition, but the one I got looks brand new, like it hasn't been fired. There is no holster wear nor scratches of any kind on this pistol. I shot 50 rounds of Barnaul 95grain JHP and 50 rounds of Wolf 109 grain FMJ with not one single failure to feed nor eject. It is very accurate and realible! I love it already! Does anybody know of a tool that I can use to load rounds into the mag because it's kind of hard on my thumb? I like to have a few more of them whenever I can save the money up. This is going to be my CCW! Thought I let you guys know how I did!

crougeux

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've yet to see a bad review of the Bulgy Maks. Mine has been almost boring in its reliability. Do the newer imports still have the billboard sized import stamp on the slide? I refinished mine with matte black GunKote to minimize the look of that stamp.

Glad you like yours. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My wife gave me one a couple years ago for Christmas. It's one of the the newly made "Special Edition" ones though, shiny blue with fat wood grips. I would have rather have had a surplus one. This one is reliable and accurate, except it is no fun to shoot.

Now, my 1911's are pussycats to shoot, and I love shooting my Super Blackhawk, but this little Mak pounds the palm of my hand with its blowback action. I think most of the problem is the fat grips.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calvert1, The only thing that's on mine is KT202XXX on the left side of the slide and on the right side of the slide it saids Bulgarian Makarov 9X18 Makarov CIA VT. On the frame it has a 10 with two circles around it and the same number that is on the slide. My dad keeps telling me I'll wear it out by racking the slide all the time and playing with it!
TrophyShop, I know how you feel about the recoil. My right thumb keeps wanting to come out of joint from time to time and this afternoon when I shot it I had eight jolts of pain in my thumb, but I didn't care I was having too much fun! I decided to keep on shooting. I got a set of military issue grips with mine and the first thing I done was I took those stupid thumb rest grips off and put the other ones on.
squid8628. I'll check out makarov.com and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the replys!
crougeux

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have a 1982 Bulgie, there is nothing wrong with it at all!

Parts are cheap. Ammo is cheap, the gun runs

I carry it daily and I feel totally confidant

I got the $7.00 leather sholder holster from www.makarov.com

I still have my "red star" grips on it, with the lanyard loop.

THis is a military weapon, thats why I like it so much

If it was good enought for the Ruskies, then darn it , it will be good enough for USA street crime!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Kewl!

I have a few of the Maks, in Bulgarian, Russian (Commercial) and E. German flavors. They are nice pistols and excellent values.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The best mag tool is something to move down the follower manually - there will be a section rising out of the side of the magazine where the hollow wall where you can see springs and loaded rounds are.

Use a small block of something or a rag and press down on that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys! rfurtkamp, I'll try that when I'm loading a magazine. Hopefully it will be easier on the thumb! Thanks again!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Try replacing your grips with Pearce grips, they make an incredible difference in the way the pistol feels in recoil.

Byrd

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might have to buy a set of grips for my pistol and one of those mag loaders. That sure will help my poor thumb out alot! Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've got over 1000rds of Barnaul JHP thru my 2 Bulgies; not a single failure. Great little pistols. The loading tool from makarov.com is a MUST.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep!

Pearce grips and the mag loader from Makarov.com are must haves.

Throw the grips that came with the Mak away!

·
Registered
377 Posts
The stock grips are good if you don't have large hands. I tried my father's mak with the pearce grips and didn't like it. I keep the basic red star grips on my east german. I don't know how many rounds we have put through the gun but havn't ever had a failure of any kind.

Steelheart

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm going to go ahead and order one of those mag loaders and a set of grips from makarov.com. I don't have large hands, a matter of fact mine are pretty small and my fingers are croocked too. The makarov fits my hand perfect. I have tried every type of double stack magazine handgun and the only one that fits my hand perfect is the Hi Power. Everything else feels too big. I was alittle worried when I bought my mak because I never handled one before and I didn't know how it would feel in my hand. I really glad I bought it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your hands are on the small side, try the Makawrap grip...same cushion effect as the Pierce grip but not as fat. I love mine. They also have a slight finger groove effect. You were able to get them through Makarov.com, I think you still can.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The Maks are good pistol, I use the red-star grips myself, but better sights never hurt any gun...

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
I tried the mak-a-wrap grips. Felt like I was holding a size small desert eagle as it made the grip much longer. Width was great, but the length bit. Sold it to my father.
The mag loader rules!

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 31 Posts