1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime back i posted i was planning on getting a stainless loaded champion, i finally got it in today.
I DO have a rather extensive list of modifications listed however they are mainly cosmetic. I will be sending it to Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs for the work. Most of the work is just checkering, magwell ect ect,
however it has come to my attention that the MIM parts are not that great, namly the extractor.
All of the small parts appear to be hardchromed; slidestop,plunger tube, ambi safety, grip safety, hammer, extractor......
is it recommended that these parts be replaced?

Also another thing i found interesting is on springfields site they show the grips as being just plan checkered, but mine have the traditional diamonds... bonus!

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would strip, clean and lubricate the gun and then shoot a couple of hundred rounds before replacing everything. You might find that the gun works just fine... :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
DavidS said:
however it has come to my attention that the MIM parts are not that great, namly the extractor.
All of the small parts appear to be hardchromed; slidestop,plunger tube, ambi safety, grip safety, hammer, extractor......
is it recommended that these parts be replaced?
I replaced the slide stop, firing pin retainer, extractor, all of the pins, the hammer strut, hammer sear, disconnector and MSH on mine. The beavertail is one of the few parts where mim really isn't a consideration. I also left the ambi but will probably switch it out with a Ed Brown somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rhino465 said:
Ditto. I'd put a couple of thousand rounds through it before changing anything that isn't already a problem.

I'm surprised it has a MIM (or is that "an MIM"?) extractor. I wasn't aware anyone was using MIM for that particular part.

Im assuming it is..... all of those small parts appear to be hardchromed so id assume they are MIM.....

RANGE REPORT:
I just ran 100 rounds thru it today. I was shooting whinchester white box (el cheapo)
for the first 20 or so rounds it was consistently shooting low and to the left. I had two failure to eject, but that was in the first couple of magazines.... after that it was pretty smooth sailing and i started to get tighter groups.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have put several thousand rounds through my Stainless Champion Loaded and my wife has put many more through it than I. Not a single part has failed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm personally in the market for a stainless champion loaded within the next few months... maybe sooner if the price is right or i find a deal on a used one... Anway;

I plan on getting 1000-2000rds through mine and then send it off to personalize it. Thigs i have planned are:

Chip McCormick Trigger
STI "Square" hammer
STI Match sear
Heinie Magwell
Get rid of ILS for conventional MSH & parts
Depending on how i like other stuff i'll change stuff from there

Plan on Hardchroming slide & small parts, and getting the frame coated black.

But thats just the idea i'm throwing around in my head for now.
BTW, i think this is my first post... So hi everyone, I'm a youngin' but not a newbie :)

-- O. Jeremy Miles
Richmond, Virginia
HK P2000v3 .40, Custom MEGA AR-15

·
Registered
133 Posts
No offense... it is your gun, and my personal opinion of that really shouldnt matter to you, however... why would you add the longslide modifications to a 4" gun? why not just buy the 5" in the first place, i'm almost positive it would be much less trouble free and more cost effective to do so.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because i wanted a full profile comp and i didnt want a 7" long barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts