1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so happy I just wanted to share it with you guys.

After almost a month of working on the papers (lots of requirements over here) and another month waiting for the gun ban (Phil. national elections)to be lifted, I finally got my brand spanking new Superior EFS (two-tone)!

Only problem is - I have to wait for a maximum of two weeks before I get my Permit to Transport (from residence to range) before I can shoot it. Still haven't decided whether or not I should spend for the more expensive Permit to Carry (anywhere in the country). Our laws must sound draconian to you guys, huh?

I don't plan on making any modifications yet until problems crop up. Hopefully, nothing will. Right now, I'm biding my time disassembling/reassembling it and dry-firing in front of a mirror. I'll try to post some pics soon. Don't have a digicam so I'll have to take the pics and then manually scan them on a scanner which fortunately, I do have.

·
Registered
233 Posts
congrat's malmon on your new efs
its exciting to get a new 1911, esspecially after going through the red tape to get it.i hate long waitings on anything. look forward to hearing more about your new gun, i didnt like the cast parts much, they thumb safty extractor ect. they look nice. but will breake easly". but the daly are good guns in generial. i love the one i have. im sure you'll have years of enjoyment with yours as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JB!

The gun looks fine cosmetically, although the casting of the hammer could've been done better. It kinda reminds me to a lesser degree of Walking Point's hammer face on his original FS. And the slide stop which looks totally black under ordinary light is kinda off-color (almost brown to purple looking) under flourescent lighting. I don't know, maybe I'm just too critical of things specially after staring at it too long. Which is about the only thing I can do while waiting for my permit. Otherwise, I'm happy with it. I'm kinda irritated mostly by the semi-circular scratch (although pretty light) that my dealer made when he tried putting back the slidestop after showing me how to strip it. Apparently, he didn't line up the stop with the slide release notch when he was trying to put it back. Anyway, what's done is done and I was too excited to go home and fiddle with it to argue. Everyday, after getting home from work I take time to look at it racking the slide back and working the action. Then I wipe it down with CLP.

Everytime my wife comes in our walk-in closet where I keep it, I try to teach her about how to use the pistol and stuff. All I get however, is a very disinterested, "Oh ok...". I guess that'll change when we go to the range.

I plan too shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it first before replacing anything. Unless of course something breaks in the process.

BTW, how do you guys go about cleaning your Dalys?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My gun club called today and said that my permit had arrived. I'll be going to the range on Friday to shoot my Daly. I almost got a plain two-tone Armscor but my dealer ended up getting me a two-tone Daly Superior. And to think all I wanted at first were the Novak-style sights! I'll finally see if it was worth the almost 2 month wait.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Malmon,
Congrats on the new arrival and permit! I clean my Daly like any other 1911. I use CLP for the most part, inside and out. Ocassionally I hit the bore with Hoppes. I use a boresnake on my Daly. It really cuts down on cleaning time.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
233 Posts
hi malmon, congrats. looking forward to hearing range reports
you'll love those novak style rearsights. todays wed so you have a couple days to go
remember to calm down
befor you start shooting,youll get better results that away. i know if i havent been to the range in awhile i get excited and just start blasting away lol.but once i calm down, im a force to recon with,as far as accuracy goes
well good luck & happy shooting. [be safe]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gunny,

Hoppes? Is that Hoppes #9. I saw one in a shop. The label said it was a powder solvent? If so, how do you use this? Do you mix it with water? When do you know its time to use the Hoppes bore cleaner?

JB,

Can't barely contain my excitement. Had to swap shifts with a buddy just to squeeze in some range time. BTW, I' a timezone ahead of you, so as of this writing my Friday is tommorrow already (actually two hours from now). Its 10Pm over here Thursday, the 28th.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by malmon:
Hoppes? Is that Hoppes #9. I saw one in a shop. The label said it was a powder solvent? If so, how do you use this? Do you mix it with water? When do you know its time to use the Hoppes bore cleaner?
Malmon,
I use Hoppes #9 powder solvent for every cleaning on my Chuck. You use it straight, no mixing. I just stick a patch on the end of my cleaning rod, dunk it in the hoppes #9, and run it through the bore a few times. I repeat this process untill the patch comes out clean. This is where a bore snake would speed things. Just once with the patch then the snake then another patch.
I use the #9 on all of the action and after all the powder residue is gone, I take a patch with Hoppes gun oil on it and lightly oil everything. I even run the oil patch down the bore once and then follow it with a dry patch.
I must for the record state that I am by no means any type of expert. Those are the instruction on the Hoppes cleaning kit that I have and I just follow them. I am happy with how clean the CD is afterwords.

·
Registered
233 Posts
well malmon you probily made it to the range already
i want to hear all the details, remember breaking in time, after 2or3 hundred rounds, it will smooth up and function better. some times it doesnt need breaking in
hoppes#9 is great stuff, works fine for me as well. remember to remove gunoil from you bore/barrel befor shooting as well. the climent in your area will depend on how and what you use to protect your gun from rust. hope to hear from you soon
hay" malmon i just tryed e-mailing you, but it say's your address is'nt valid
anyway i just wanted to see how things went? also to tell ya that i have a picture of my cd as a wallpapper on my putor
its saves me from going to the gunsafe, as often lol

[This message has been edited by james beam (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
671 Posts
malmon - congrats on your new Daly. I'll ask my buddy if it's ok to bring another shooter on Sunday. I'll call you Sat pm.

Guys, its 11:00 pm now (RP) and malmon haven't posted any range result. He's probably busy looking at his target board
. Or maybe he's cleaning his CD.

vega

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, finally made it to the range today. I was able to fire 100 rounds of Armscor FMJ and 3 mags of reloads before the rain cut my range time short. There's only two seasons here in the Phils. Totally hot and sunny and totally wet!

With the FMJs, I barely had any problems with the Daly. Only had two FTFs on the FMJs: the third and the seventh round. After that, it was smooth sailing all the way. Couldn't say the same with the reloads in the Jethro Shooting range. I planned to fire around 100 reloads as well but after the first three rounds gave me FTFs, I had to return them. It seems that Jethro seats the bullets too long on the cartridges. I had 'em reload 30 of my spent casings just to see if there would be any difference from the range reloads. Well initially, they also gave me FTF's. The RO diassembled my Daly and tried to fit the reloads into the barrel. They wouldn't fit completely into the barrel. It seems that the lead bullets were bulging on the casings. The bullet diameter seemed a little bit larger than the casing and wouldn't go completely into the barrel. No wonder I was getting FTFs! The RO had my reloads reseated and recrimped. After that all of them fired except for four rounds. By that time, it started to rain anyway so I decided to call it a day.

To summarize, I really think that the Dalys are really worth every penny. They're really good value for your money. According to the RO, it shot pretty POA (I let him shoot my baby when we were testing the reseated reloads). I just wish I cold say the same about my shooting but that will be remedied by a lot of practice.
I feel that it was worth all the hassle and red tape I had to go through. If there's one thing I learned from today's session, it's that I have to practice more! Pass the ammo please...

BTW, the Mecgars that came with the gun performed quite well. It only jammed once when I use the range reloads which is how I discovered that the reloads were a bit long.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, those Novak wannabes were pretty nice to use.

I can't wait to get back to the range. Maybe next time, I'll shoot indoors. I'm gonna miss those steel poppers though... They sound so nice when I hit them (which was very rare at 25 yards...more practice needed I guess)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JB,

Thats funny, I always seemed to get your email even the last one of your OD baked Daly. Maybe the servers were down or something. Thanks a lot to all of you helpful folks for the advice. I learned more about 1911s in this forum in a few months than I have learned in years of borrowing and shooting my cousins' pistols.

·
Registered
233 Posts
hi malmon, only a hundred rounds,was you there for only 10 or 15 minutes
or something? i have notice on new gun's in the recent past, that it's best to itleast run 2 or 300rds of commercial bullets, through your gun befor you start using reloads. once your gun is broken in, the action"...seem's to run smoother and chamber open up a bit", i hade simler results with my cd at first, but that went away quickly,the very same reloads worked flawlessly after i ran a couple of hundred rounds of commercial through it.i can use wadd cutters and many of the hollowpoints now,hopefully you'll be able to do the same,after awhile? if not i would suggest polishing your chamber and feeding ramp. and keep your reloads to factory spec's.i knew you would come to love your 1911, your addicted. after all i put into mine. i comed to grow partial to my cd 1911. i have and hade a many of gun's.but i never been happier, i guess it's my little creation and is a great shooter that i can tottaly rely upon
looking forward to hearing about your next range vesit

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JB,

I know I should've bought more of the factory FMJs from my dealer (I can already imagine him saying he told me so) but I thought they'd be enough and I'd just make up on the rest with reloads. I have to admit I'm a cheap guy and the only factory 45s Jethro had in stock were either imported or of the special variety (frangibles?/ old stock black talons). I don't know how much these bullets cost there but too me the ones they stocked at the range were kinda expensive.

Unfortunately for me, the much cheaper range reloads were really out of spec. Actually, I took my time and took almost an hour to finish the hundred rounds I brought with me. I only had the two mags that came with the Daly. The rest of my 2 hour range session was spent waiting for them to clean and reload my spent casings to shoot/compare them with the range reloads as well as watching other shooters. All in all, even though my range session was pretty short, I had a lot of fun testing my new Daly.

Vega,

Sorry 'bout not being able to come. Thanks for the invitation anyway but I had to bring my family to the in-laws this weekend. Maybe someday I'll get to shoot with you. I really need some help from more experienced shooters like you.

cwm1150,

Thanks! With yesterday's performance, I really need more range sessions.

I'll try to make some time within the month to get some more range time. Hopefully, I'll be able to bring more than 100 rounds this time. Based on yesterday's experience, I really don't trust those reloads... The gun did fine. I, however need to practice more.

·
Registered
671 Posts
malmon,

Which Jethro did you went to? I want to get some of that black talons. I suggest you get some also. Do they also come in 9mm?

vega

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Vega,

I suggest you don't since they cost around 104 apiece and according to the clerk they were imitation Black Talons at that! But then again he could be wrong.

I think I also saw some Talons and SXTs in MCS though. Don't know if they were 9mm though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vega,

I almost forgot - I went to Jethro main at SFDM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts