1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked the pistol up yesterday from my FFL. it actually arrived Saturday but due to work it stayed with them the weekend. I took it home and did a detail strip expecting it to be super dirty as with the off the shelf SA's in stores but it really wasn't. I re lubed everything and slapped it back together last night. Prior to that the gun felt a little gritty but most of that left with the deep cleaning.

This morning I took it to the range with Wilson, Tripp research, and Chip McCormick magazines. I ran 115 grain ball, 124 grain ball, hornaday XTP115 grain, Federal HST 124grain and Speer Gold Dot 115 grain ammo and had zero issues whatsoever. I had no problems hitting a 3x5 index card at 25 yards if I did my job..... With that being said, obligatory photos.

The target shows 100 rounds center mass from 15 yards.... I broke shots as soon as the sights crossed back over the target.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Were you referring to the new Chip McCormick 9mm mags? If so, how'd they run?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you referring to the new Chip McCormick 9mm mags? If so, how'd they run?
Yes the new "XP" mags. I had to switch to them for my Nighthawk Shadowhawk because it wouldn't run the Tripp Cobras or the Wilson ETM mags. The in the Nighthawk which has proven to be more finicky it solved all the failure to feed issues with running 10 rounds in a magazine. The WTS pistol however shot all of the magazines equally well. At this point however I'll be honest and tell you the XP magazines will be my go to for buying new magazines. They are the cat's meow for finicky guns.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I picked mine up today (#073) and went to the range shortly thereafter. I had similar results and haven't really stopped smiling since.

Definitely worth the wait!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked mine up today (#073) and went to the range shortly thereafter. I had similar results and haven't really stopped smiling since.

Definitely worth the wait!
I'm really excited about it to be honest. It's accurate and good looking. I think I'm going to run an X300 Ultra on it and use it for some local matches. Mine is # 071.
When I took it apart I noticed on a few key parts the serial number was scribed. The only place I hate they scribed was the underside of the firing pin channel. I wish SA would find a different location to do that. But that's really the only thing I wish were different.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Very nice 1911 and shooting. How long was your wait time to get the gun in hand?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't even break it down to clean it. I lubed it up (at the range) and had 150 rounds worth of quick fun.

I have a Baer and just figured I'd break it in the same way lol (500 rounds before really cleaning it). The WTS isn't as tight as my Baer, but I didn't expect it to be. It is plenty tight and just as accurate.

I'm pretty happy!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Yes the new "XP" mags. I had to switch to them for my Nighthawk Shadowhawk because it wouldn't run the Tripp Cobras or the Wilson ETM mags. The in the Nighthawk which has proven to be more finicky it solved all the failure to feed issues with running 10 rounds in a magazine. The WTS pistol however shot all of the magazines equally well. At this point however I'll be honest and tell you the XP magazines will be my go to for buying new magazines. They are the cat's meow for finicky guns.
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of trying the CMC mags and you've convinced me to finally do it.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm really excited about it to be honest. It's accurate and good looking. I think I'm going to run an X300 Ultra on it and use it for some local matches. Mine is # 071.
When I took it apart I noticed on a few key parts the serial number was scribed. The only place I hate they scribed was the underside of the firing pin channel. I wish SA would find a different location to do that. But that's really the only thing I wish were different.
I switched the rear sight on mine to a 10-8 part and noticed the serial number is scribed on the bottom of the rear sight as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Picked the pistol up yesterday from my FFL.
Congratulations on joining the WTS club! :rock:
I'm glad to hear that you're having good success with the Chip McCormick "XP" magazines. I haven't personally tried them yet.
Getting my magazines to feed and drop reliably was probably the biggest "break" in challenge I had to overcome.
Right now I have 5x "factory WTS magazines" and 5x 10-round Dawson Precision.
Keep us posted as your break in progresses. (I'm at about 7,200 rounds since November)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on joining the WTS club! :rock:
I'm glad to hear that you're having good success with the Chip McCormick "XP" magazines. I haven't personally tried them yet.
Getting my magazines to feed and drop reliably was probably the biggest "break" in challenge I had to overcome.
Right now I have 5x "factory WTS magazines" and 5x 10-round Dawson Precision.
Keep us posted as your break in progresses. (I'm at about 7,200 rounds since November)
All magazines fed and dropped free reliably today. I ran 300 rounds through it today before I realized it.... If I'd had more ammo in my bag it would have probably been more. I tried to run a decent amount through it to check feeding, extraction and overall function. We will just say it took a while for it to cool down enough to touch the slide. Hahaha

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Heyyyyyyyyyy buddy. Congrats. I know how badly you waited for it. After I spoke to you, I've been lusting after one myself lol. May go the SACS CC route with it though once I pinch pennies.

SA is climbing the ranks to becoming one of my favorite brands

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's worth the wait. If you want my options outside the ones offered you may be better to do the CC route. I like the idea of having a mag well that's rounded a bit more in the rear... But overall this gun is great. Only thing it's getting for a while is ALOT of ammo.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up #72 yesterday, and I think I even bought the same grips. Are those Dirty Olive VZ Operators?
Why yes.... Yes sir they are! Great minds think alike I guess! These were put on before the first range trip and I think they are a good fit as far as aesthetics and feel. Congrats on your new pistol. I hope you are as satisfied as I am.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Great pistol

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Another 500 rounds today after work.... That puts a total of 800 rounds through it since I took delivery without cleaning. Today I worked on drawing and reloading from the same kit I would shoot IDPA with. It was dead nuts reliable with all magazines and ammo. I'm very impressed! More pictures of today's trip and new "character marks".....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts