1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, hp-38 on the shelf. An LGS that I occasionally hit (opposite direction than I normally go) had 4 pounds of it so they are now mine. Also finally got my .223 dialed in for imr3031, now can't find it a anywhere, so picked up 4 pounds of Varget instead. I'm sure it will be ok also, I just hate having to change recipes just when I get things dialed in just how I like them.

The more I load (with different recipes) the more I think it would be worth saving up for a quality trap and commercial soundproofing.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Hey pilot.

Your IMR3031 is an oldie but good champion in 223 for lighter bullets.
It used to be THE powder for varmint calibers in the 1950's.
There are lots of newer powders with excellent characteristics,
but 3031 is still as good as it ever was. Hard to meter but
great with 35 to 55 grain bullets.

Varget is better for mid to heavier bullets. It ain't shabby for 55 and 62,
but really good with 69 to 77 grain match & varmint bullets.

R15, H335, TAC, and a host of others also cover the spread.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
I can attest to the fact that H335 works exceedingly well for 60 gr. HPs in .223. Loaded many, many thousands of those back in the day.

And of course, the military version of that powder accounted for a couple billion rounds of 5.56.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
And of course, the military version of that powder accounted for a couple billion rounds of 5.56.
Maybe a quarter to half TRILLION ?

When did they start using the 844 powder series, 1980's or was it VietNam era?

Current military purchase is about 10 to 11 billion small-arms rounds per year,
I don't know how much is 5.56x45, but probably most of it.
Multiply that time 3 decades and maybe a few hundred billion rounds?

Yes, I'd say it works pretty well.

:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found and purchased 4 lbs of HP38 today at my local Cabala's Outpost store in SE Washington State. Had been using Win 231 but HP 38 is now the same.

Port
NRA Life

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I was at a Ashville gun show a few weeks back and Georgia arms had hp-38 in 8lb containers for 165 bucks. I snagged one several they had.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am seeing a good selection of powder, and primers at several local stores, so things seem to have loosened up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts