1911Forum banner

Finally, I have a Colt!

1618 9
After months of lurking about the forums, I finally joined to share my excitement in owning another 1911--and finally it's a Colt!

I just picked up a 1991-A1 Stainless Commander from a friend's gun store. It's a beauty that he took in on a trade and he gave it to me for only $450.

It's in excellent shape with little wear or usage, and I've already visited the Wilson online shop to add some odds-n-ends to make her mine!

I'm glad I called him on my way to visit Cabela's--I was ready to drop twice that on an compact SA or another Kimber (without the ex ex)--never thought that I'd get my hands on a Colt.

Thanks for listening...
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

Being completely new to Colts, I'm not sure what I really have (production wise). I've searched this site and some books trying to find some details and information about this pistol, but nothing exactly matches.

Maybe someone can tell me about what year it was produced (I know it's after 1991 of course :D) and please let me know if there is anything good, bad, or plain ugly about the model that I have.

On the left side of the slide is "Colt M1991A1 tm" and "Stainless" under it (no horse logo on the slide anywhere), on the right side of the slide it reads "Commander Model."

On the frame, which seems to be stainless steel as well, the right side has in small text "Colts PT F. A. MFG. Co. Hartford Conn. U.S.A." and a serial number starting with "CJ27xxx."

The only Colt logo horses are on the black rubber grips. This pistol has a black solid trigger, but the hammer is the skeletonized and not the old style round Commander hammers I've seen on other pistols. The sights are fixed and the front sight seems permanently fixed.

· Registered
272 Posts
Vepr K, you got one heck of a good deal and a good gun...Commander at that. Make sure you have a good mag as these are the cause of most problem. Colt makes good ones, so does Metalform. The kind with a dimple in the follower.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys...

Pictures will come once I figure out how to post them (I'll search it out)...I'm better with guns than I am with computers, but I plan on taking before & after photos.

It's bone stock at the moment, but I have a set of Hogue Rosewood Laminates (smooth) on the way, a Wilson Ambi-safety in SS since I'm a south-paw, and a Wilson mag or two in addition to the Colt factory mags that I have.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still waiting on my rosewood grips, but installed my ambi safety.

Unlike my Kimber's ambi that just dropped in place, the Wilson required about 2 hours worth of careful fitting to match the Colt part. It works properly and has a crisp snap on and off as did the factory part, plus it's much smoother in transition from engaged to disengaged.

It matches the Colt's stainless finish perfectly--here are some new pictures of my Colt Commander with the Wilson Combat Tactical Ambi Safety added.

Attachments

· Registered
298 Posts
Very nice..

Commander, I'm no expert but it's safe to say that you got an "Old Roll Mark" commander stainless. Only thing I would add is,
have fun and shoot the snot out of that thing.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.