1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, don't ask for photos yet, but I finally brough home my first "Property of USG" 1911A1. I got it from a close friend that I didn't know was even in the Army 30 years ago. Hey, I'm only 38, he's 65ish. Anyhow, she's all original, untouched with about 80% finish remaning. Tonight will be the break down and cleaning time. Got it for trading a NIB Ruver vaquero I bought $425! On the otherhand, WWII Colts were priced at $1200+ and a Pristine Remington was priced at $1000. But it was refinished.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
Well, at least give us more details. Maker, serial # range, features of the small parts, etc. Can't wait for the write-up.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that. I was so excited about my new addition, I forgot to mention that it's a Colt. SN 753224. According to one web site, 1941 production. Did not get the chance to do the break down and cleaning last night. Maybe tonight. What small parts should I be looking for for originality? According to the guy I got it from, he had some armorers go through it about 20-25 years back he met at a bar. They worked the armory around San Francisco.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
You lucky b*****d.
You got it for a good price by the sounds of it. Pre-war Colts are hard to find. I assume it is stamped R.S., for Col. Robert Sears? I forget when W.B. (Waldemar Broberg) began to show up.

Go to my website and look in the gallery section for the 1942 Colt. Yours should look like that one regarding the parts. Especially note the coarse checkered plastic grips with small rings around the screw holes.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your web site was unavailable at this time. I do remember the grips having the rampant pony with a circle around them molded into them. About 1 inch in diameter, if I remember correctly. I'll get serious with it this evening and get some numbers and initials posted.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

That Geocities' bandwidth limit is really starting to p*** me off!

Time to seriously look for a new host.

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, here's the poop. Did a complete take down and scrubbed everything with cleaner and re-lubed it all.
Barrel markings: Left side lug-"P"
Right above lug: COLT 45
Right side of frame: United States Property M1911A1 U.S. Army No. 753224
Top right corner of trigger guard:71

Left side of frame: "P" next to mag release and the "WB" stamp with the square around it. Top corner of trigger guard: "R"
Then a "V" shaped stamp with what looks like a VP inside of it right below the "R".
Left side of slide has the usual Patented Apr. 20 1897.....
Top of slide has "P" about 1 inch in front of rear sight. Front sight is a half moon shape and the serial number is under the firing pin stop, and it matches the frame.
Arched MSH with a diamond checker pattern. The grips are a brownish color made of plastic or bakelite and they are hollow on the back, but it has a 3/4" diameter circle with the rampant pony cast into the grip.

The only down side is that the grips have warped over time and the grip screw bushings have come loose and one has pulled out on one side of the gun. How would I go about replacing the grip screw bushings? I don't want to ruin any originality with a threaded bushing since mine appear to be crimped in place.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
GI bushings are the same as comercial ones, except that per Ordnance specifications they were heavily staked in place once tightened down. You pistol sounds all correct with the exception of the grips, which should look like the ones in the photo of mine.

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts