1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finger off trigger until ready to fire... is it really a good idea?

3K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  shane45-1911 
Two things. First, there are no absolute rights and wrongs here (though I know some would disagree with me, at least for a pistol) with regard to the trigger finger. If you've got your finger on the trigger you gain the advantage of not ruining your trigger pull (IMO the most important part of the shot), but you ARE at more risk of the weapon firing if something crazy happens. You are trading one for the other. Personally, in a high stress situation, my finger would be on the trigger. I'm military, and had some opportunity to train with some returning SF guys before I went to Baghdad, and it was a little different from the rules on the firing range. Nobody said a thing about keeping your finger off the trigger in a life or death situation.

However, that does bring me to my second point. We were doing a lot of room clearing excercises with the same guys, and if you're not going to slice the pie in that type of situation, when are you going to? Slicing the pie didn't make it into roomclearing 101 because it doesn't work. If you forget the basics in a hot situation, you've lost already (remember to turn off that safety before you fire... I know it sounds crazy, but I've seen it happen)

There's my two cents (or jiao I should say, since I'm in China right now :biglaugh: )

Reid

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.