1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previous purchase of a CBOB fell through.

I've come across another one that has a 2-3 inch mark across the top of the slide. Its not a scratch that has dug into the metal but looks more like someone drug another gun across the metal of this one and left a mark in the finish.

The finish of the CBOB looks almost like a bead blast to me but that may not in fact be the correct term. What I'm wondering is can this be corrected without a lot of expense? Not sure if the gun will be carried so I want to know if the mark can be fixed fairly easily.

Yes, I'm aware of the hard hat available but want to know the options if i decide to purchase it. Its brand new on the shelf...........discounted.

Any ideas? Thank you for any info.

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
The top of the slide would have to be rebeadblasted to fix it. You'd have to weigh the cost of that vs. the discount.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I would say, get it if you don't mind the idea of refinishing it.

You are correct, in that it is a beadblast finish on the rounds. I was told by a gunsmith, that in order to touch up the beadblast, the entire beadblasting would have to be redone. Its not possible to match the same texture as the factory gives it. That's my understanding, anyway.

$1099 is a good price for these right now. $200 is a decent discount toward an unfired gun, and if you look at what the gun will be worth a few months into 2010... I would buy it, have a real sweet finish put on it that will stand up in durability far better than the fragile bare stainless... and the values of your "custom" CBOB will offset what you have wrapped up into it

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Probably not worth it then.

Should probably wait for a VBOB. :rock:
No...you're talkin' apples and grapes. The CBOB will not be offered in 2010. The VBOB is a different animal that will cost alot more than 899.00 The CBOB you have a shot at is a shooter. (NOT a safe queen)

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Trues, if you could get it for that price, ou would have an amazing weapon that you don't feel the slightest bit bad about using

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say, get it if you don't mind the idea of refinishing it.

You are correct, in that it is a beadblast finish on the rounds. I was told by a gunsmith, that in order to touch up the beadblast, the entire beadblasting would have to be redone. Its not possible to match the same texture as the factory gives it. That's my understanding, anyway.

$1099 is a good price for these right now. $200 is a decent discount toward an unfired gun, and if you look at what the gun will be worth a few months into 2010... I would buy it, have a real sweet finish put on it that will stand up in durability far better than the fragile bare stainless... and the values of your "custom" CBOB will offset what you have wrapped up into it
Hmmmmmmmmmm..................

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Get it and scotch brite all the rounds until they all match. Or just blast the slide if it is a little different so what. Better yet, put an idiot scratch on it and you won't notice the mark on the top.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you're going to carry it, and shoot it. Its going to get some marks on it.. Offer 850-875 OTD and RUN cause you STOLE It:eek::rock:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just noticed my 1 month old CBOB has a small scratch across the bead blasted part on the top of the slide I have no idea how it got there but I figure the only time I'll ever see it is when I'm cleaning the gun. I guess I've just come to the conclusion that like cars guns are going to get a ding or some wear marks from time to time and I can either just leave them in the safe and never shoot them or just live with the minor love marks.

I figure a car was meant to be driven and a gun was meant to be shot.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I guess I've just come to the conclusion that like cars guns are going to get a ding or some wear marks from time to time and I can either just leave them in the safe and never shoot them or just live with the minor love marks.

This is 100% true. I'd get the CBOB now while it is available at a pretty good price.

Best regards.

·
Banned
290 Posts
I just noticed my 1 month old CBOB has a small scratch across the bead blasted part on the top of the slide I have no idea how it got there but I figure the only time I'll ever see it is when I'm cleaning the gun. I guess I've just come to the conclusion that like cars guns are going to get a ding or some wear marks from time to time and I can either just leave them in the safe and never shoot them or just live with the minor love marks.

These can be cause by empty brass when ejected.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You might be able to touch up that area by placing the right grit emery paper on it and tap with a rubber hammer...never tried it but it should be alot like blasting ....Same kinda' sand they shoot at it and it's just millions of impacts..

I carry my CBOB every day and it's going to show it after a while..
and that one may be worth $1000 in a yr or so the way it is...

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
If you're going to carry it, and shoot it. Its going to get some marks on it.. Offer 850-875 OTD and RUN cause you STOLE It:eek::rock:
I concur. If it ends up bugging you, you can always get it beadblasted. Or, strip the whole gun and have it blasted for a nice even look. If you can strip and reassemble it yourself, any machine shop should be able to blast it pretty reasonably.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is a really good price. If you do NOT buy it or should I say steal it from the dealer. Then someone is going to be getting a really good deal.
If you own a gun to be a safe queen then it might not be such a great deal for yourself. BUT, if your a shooter who really uses there DW's or use it for CCW all the time then some mark on the slide will not bother you at all.
Heck, if you do not buy it PM me about who has it and a phone # for it!!

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Takes me about 5 minutes to do after I tape off the chosen areas.

Anyone with a bead blaster should be able to do the job for you real cheap.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Please disregard all the reasons for purchase previously posted by other members. JUST BUY IT! YOU DON'T NEED A REASON!!:biglaugh:
Ryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts