1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Springfield stainless gun has more sharp edges than a box of shattered porcelain! It needs a "dehoning" job. I am becoming more and more handy with a file and stone so I might tackle this myself with some guidance from a professional.

I've already dressed a few edges and of course the finish is left very "polished". By the time it's complete the gun will need a refinishing job. Of course, the beauty of stainless is that no coatings are necessary.

I though about returning it to it's original appearance, but then started to let my imagination wander a bit. I kind of like the idea of bead-blasting the entire pistol. It would be very utilitarian in appearance... kinda cool. Does anyone have pics of a completely bead-blasted stainless 1911? How about other different stainless treatments?

Pics are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
i would give it a thorough de-edging...then either bead blast it or hard chrome it.

here's a pic of my kobra. the stainless models are blasted to leave a matte finish. looks good imo:p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I second the bead-blast suggestion. Here's my new Series 70. I hated the polished flats and wanted something easier to care for.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like that bead blasted look. What media is used when blasting? Glass?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Mine was done with #8 glass beads. The finish looks very similar to my stainless Kobra in person. It looks very soft and subtle.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Here's yet another example. I sent my P13.45 to Bob Hunter and, among other things, he dehorned and sandblasted the slide to give it a matte finish. It looks great. If you decide not to do it yourself, I can recommend Bob (he hangs in the Para forum).

Oh yeah, FYI, the stand is not stained. It's made from a wood called "purple heart" which comes from Central and South America.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sold on the bead blast. It looks fantastic!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can stainless be coated/colored in anyway? I'm considering an S&W 1911, but I want a BLACK or dark (greyish) finish and their custom shop said it couldn't be ordered in blued/black. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yes, it can be basically painted. I've also heard some people claim that they can blue stainless, or at least give it a chemical finish similar to springfields black stainless. S&W doesn't offer it from the factory yet, so it would have to be by a aftermarket provider. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Robar will chemically blacken stainless. You can also put most polymer coatings on stainless, but it doesn't stick quite as well as it does to parkerized carbon steel. You can also hard chrome or NP3 stainless steel just fine.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I am hard chroming another one of my stainless 1911s because not only do you get that great bead blasted stainless steel look, but you get added protection from galling and corrosion....yes, stainless steel guns do rust given the right circumstances.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a "Lewel" finish on the sided of my Tac-Four slide. It really hides the Scuffs from holsters and it looks different. (I don't know how to post a picuture)

It wasen't hard to do using a drill press, vice with cross slide, a wooden dowel and some lapping compound. I did a lot of practice on some scraps of stainless befor I tackled the pistol. I get complements almost everytime I use it in various competitions. A couple of people have asked me to do theirs but I don't want to take a chance with someone's gun. I have helped one person do his and it came out great.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I had Wilson's first work on my Stainless Series 80 Govt Model, I had them bead blast it. It looked good but I eventually wanted a two-tone look so when I sent it back for some additional work, I had them black armor tuff the slide. It looks great and has really held up well. If I had a digital camera I'd post a pic.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
One of the greatest things about bead blasting is how cheap and easy it is. For the price of sending one pistol off for refinishing, you can buy a cabinet and a lifetime supply of glass beads. Whenever that stainless looks a little scruffy, one run through the box and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I checked out Robars site, it looks pretty sweet. I may go ahead and gt the S&W then (hopefully in Jan.) and have it coated/blackened after a few months. Anyone have any experience with ROBAR?

·
Registered
606 Posts
marvl said:
Here's yet another example. I sent my P13.45 to Bob Hunter and, among other things, he dehorned and sandblasted the slide to give it a matte finish.
Cool Para! Who's grips, if I might ask??

Thinkin' about somethin' similar w/ my LWT Commander, but what to do w/ the alloy frame?:

LWT Commander

Also considered a slight change of pace for my 2-tone Gov't Model. Maybe a bead blast for the stainless, w/ GunKote over a parkerized base for the frame. Might be tacky, but I was thinking "utilitarian". Any thoughts?:

Gov't Model

1 - 20 of 34 Posts