1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thinking of finishing a stainless gun? Your options may be rather limited.

Does anyone know if Brownells spray and bake finish will adhere to stainless?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALRIGHT! I ADMIT IT! I'M A NEWBIE!
... but that's also why I'm here. I've tasted the 1911 and now I can't get enough. Question revised:

What are your favorite finishes and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If we're going to have a discussion on finishes, that's one thing. But you asked what options there were for refinishing a stainless gun. As far as carbon steel guns go, there are many more options available, some durable some not. Some beautiful, some not. Some rugged, some not.

What is the problem with naked stainless? Sure, it takes some getting used to but after while it can be an acceptably pleasing look. Some folks actually like the stainless "look" better than blued. I don't, but hey to each his own, I guess.

Callahan

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe he was asking what kind of options he had for refinishing his stainless gun, not "please rag on me because I'm new and don't know everything about finishes, yet".

While I'm no expert, I believe you can hard chrome stainless with good results. Give Tripp Research a call. (www.trippresearch.com)

I'm not sure if birdsong's "black T" will adhere to stainless, or what kind of blueing would work on stainless, so I'll leave that to the experts to answer. Perhaps a call to Wilson combat would be able to answer your questions regarding Birdsong's finishes, they seem to have the process down pact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another "newbie" question if noone minds. Can you put chrome or other finishes over a parkerized gun, or is it cheaper to trade for a stainless? (If this is a REALLY stupid question please be gentle !!)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hold on here... I wasn't flaming anybody, nor did I call anyone a newbie. Sheesh, talk about bein' misunderstood.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stainless is perfect PERFECT just like it is. A stainless gun is perfection all by itself.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You can Black T, ~200, or Titanium Nitride, ~400, coat an SS gun. Both seem like good finishes. Both come in Black. Titanium Nitride is much harder than Black T, but it also requires quite a bit of heat to put it on. Most won't coat aluminum, but I was told that SS would be ok. Those options may seem limited to some, but for a Carbon Steel gun, I would only add Parkerizing to my short list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was researching blackening a ss slide release to match parkerized black, and was told that an equal mixture of 1 lb sodium dichromate and 1 lb potassium dichromate heated mixed in 1 gallon water, heated to 300 degrees, would blacken ss.

I'm no chemist, haven't done it, but got the info from a electroplating website.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for ya'lls input on this. I feel a little more educated. No offense taken Inspector. I was thinking that a nice finish would protect the frame of the gun from weather, sweat, wear and tear.

I've decided I like the look of naked steel. So I guess I'll just have to buy another 1911 to satisfy my fashion needs.

DaveW, let me know if that blackening works. I may want to have a two tone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ACTUALLY have several stainless pistols Black-Td. While it will adhere, it wears off much quicker than off a carbon steel gun. My goal was maximum corrosion resistance, and I feel I suceeded. However, my guns see hard use, I am not interested in showpieces.
You might consider simply bead blasting the piece. The current Stainless TRPs are finished this way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All "finishes" wear. You may be disappointed eventually with any applied finish. I like a stainless steel boomer. It is wear resistant, has nothing to "come off", and always looks good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts