1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Been tweaking this one for a while and I think I am finally done. Has all the little upgrades I wanted and shoots like a dream. Let me know what you think. All feedback (good and bad) is appreciated.

Build List

• Spring Kit from BHSS
  • Stipple Front Strap and Back Strap
  • Bevel Mag Well
  • Rechecker the Mag Release more aggressively
  • C&S No Bite Commander Hammer
  • Pachmayr Extended Slide Stop
  • Mark III OEM "Wide" Trigger
  • Custom Mark III Style Strong Safety
  • Detective Guide Rod from BHSS
  • Detective Barrel from BHSS
  • Spring Loaded Type 1 Sear Lever from BHSS (this really works to keep the back of the frame from being beaten up by the sear lever on reset. Really innovative)
  • Novak 3 Dot Tritium Night Sights
  • Action Job for crisp reset and 5.5 lb pull
  • Hogue Kingwood Grips custom fitted to the frame (thinnest wood grips out there for the BHP)
  • Hogue Hex Grip Screws
  • Refinish the entire pistol in semi gloss Midnight Blue Cerakote

Air gun Trigger Wood Wood stain Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Wood stain Gun barrel

Finger Revolver Thumb Font Camera lens

Trigger Finger Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Very, very nice!

I feel that these make a near perfect carry pistol. I have always wished my Detective slide was cut as elegantly as the BHP slide, I’ve never considered stippling and I prefer SFS… but I think you’ve done a great job and hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very, very nice!

I feel that these make a near perfect carry pistol. I have always wished my Detective slide was cut as elegantly as the BHP slide, I’ve never considered stippling and I prefer SFS… but I think you’ve done a great job and hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!

Cheers,

Tim
I have a sig p365xl and a taurus 709 too for carry. Even carried a PPK/S for a while but keep coming back to the detective because it is light and it just points wonderfully.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Excellent work! Do you see a difference in accuracy with the BHSS barrel?

Reactions: Boge and goodag91

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Excellent work! Do you see a difference in accuracy with the BHSS barrel?
I usually recrown my OEM project barrels so not really a big difference in accuracy. If they are not shot to pieces, recrowning usually fixes any accuracy issues for me. For this project, I just wanted to try the BHSS barrel. It worked fine and looks nice. I could have put a little extra time in on the OEM barrel and made it work just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gorgeous gun! I’ve been patiently waiting for a certain gunsmith to start accepting work again however I’m getting impatient and may have to go a different direction.
I’m wanting to do the “hi-power” cuts to my detective’s slide, use a garthwaite trigger, heine ledge rear sight, an SFS kit, and a dlc or a chrome finish.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
@goodag91

Another question I had and forgot to ask does the rounded cam barrel lug design of the alloy frame concern you with the standard cut lug of the detective barrel.

i’ve had discussions with Smith’s about its longevity and long-term durability. Most of the time the answer I got was “not really sure” have not seen one shot enough to fail but it could be a problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@goodag91

Another question I had and forgot to ask does the rounded cam barrel lug design of the alloy frame concern you with the standard cut lug of the detective barrel.

i’ve had discussions with Smith’s about its longevity and long-term durability. Most of the time the answer I got was “not really sure” have not seen one shot enough to fail but it could be a problem.
I have the same concerns but since no one knows for sure, I am just rolling with it. I do not put a lot of rounds through the gun which I hope helps the longevity. In the end, I have a 75C alloy frame with the oval barrel cam. If this one breaks, I will just stick the slide on the 75C and keep trucking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There’s going to be a mainstream detective-sized upper assembly or complete gun in the near future—I mean it only makes sense with the resurgence and proliferation of the hi-power design. Until that time, be ready to fork out the greenbacks for anything FM detective unfortunately.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to post a quick update to address 2 questions (one on a separate thread):

1) Accuracy of BHSS barrel - I was at the range on a practice session over my lunch hour and here was an example of the real world accuracy of barrel in this alloy detective. 15 rounds of Hornday Critical Defense 115 grain JHP. Smooth as silk through the gun and dead on target for me. 7 yard range, from the ready position, offhand.

Forgive the one flyer. That was me and not the gun.

2) Reliability of 15 round mecgar mags - I use 15 round mecgar mags in this gun and they have always performed flawlessly. FMJ, Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP, Hornady 115 grain JHP, Hornady 135 grain JHP.

This is the Hi Power I most often carry, especially in the summer. And it is boringly reliable mag after mag.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Azure Sleeve Paint Art Font

1 - 17 of 17 Posts