1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Stainless Champion that I finished up last year. I wanted to try for a different look on this gun, so I flattened the slide top and went with ball cuts instead of serrations.

For those who care about such things:
Weld frame rail, machine for fit
Undercut grip frame, hand checker 30lpi
Radius the edges, true up the lines, remove the machining marks inside and out.
Surface ground the frame and slide flats
S&A: Grip Safety SS
Ed Brown: Match Barrel, Bushing, and Mainspring Housing 30 lpi , SS
Wilson: Bulletproof Slide Stop, Narrow Thumb Safety, SS
Nowlin: Tuff Stuff Extractor, Extended Mag Release with internals, SS
Bomar: BCMS Rear Sight, buried
Heinie: Front Sight, dovetailed
Tripp Research: Hard Chrome

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Looks nice Todd. What kind of mill did you use?

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Todd that is some Outstanding work you did on your Springer, the pics are Great.

Clyde

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Beautiful work Todd!!!!:rock::rock:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks nice Todd. What kind of mill did you use?
I am lucky to have full access to a machine shop, so I used a full sized Bridgeport for the milling work. There is nothing like being able to use the right tools.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks great!:) I really like the ball cuts on the slide. Great job on the checkering! Who makes that spring plug, or did you modify it?
The spring plug is one of the few original parts left. This Champion used an odd-ball sized plug, (larger diameter) so I filed the checkering off so it would look cleaner. Couldn't eliminate the slot without welding so I let it stay, even though it is not QUITE vertical. If I was a pro, I would have had to make one from scratch.
I kept the original hammer to preserve the factory look (go figure):biglaugh:

·
Registered
1911 Pistol smith
464 Posts
Nice looking gun..what size ballend mills did you use?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the comments.

I believe the large cuts are about a 1/4" ball and the smaller ones are approx. 1/16" ball. If you need to know exact sizes, I can measure and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Todd, that's a very smooth- and cohesive-looking piece! After lookin' at it awhile, you know what ties it all together for me? That slide stop. Good stuff - thank for postin' the eye candy.

Best,
Jon

·
Banned
672 Posts
Todd- Looks very nice. Great job! The machine work is very clean. The hand work involved has me stunned. The bordered checkering is just one example. You certainly have a keen eye and skilled hands.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Ain't it cool? That slide stop (can you tell that sometimes I have a one-track mind?) startled me at first, but when I got to looking at the whole pistol, it fits, especially (aesthetically) with the screw-type recoil plug.

Hard to find anything anymore that's both unusual AND Very cool - this one's both.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
The bordering on the checkering is spectacular!
The checkering is awesome as well.
And the rest of the gun is VERY nice as well.
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts