1911Forum banner

Finishing up a finished gun

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  4barrel 
#1 ·
I have a Sarco GI build that I finished with a few Wilson parts about 3 months ago I love shooting this thing and its 100% reliable except for 2 things. upon firing the last round the gun will jam about 1 in 3 times. The jam looks like this
Air gun Bicycle part Bicycle frame Shotgun Gun accessory

Except its in 45.

The other thing is about 1 in 50 cases hits me in the face or even jumps to the left side of the gun. I have tried more and less extractor tension but can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Alright thanks for any and all replies.

Nick

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Unless your recoil spring is too strong I would try a Wilson bullet proof extractor. I have one 1911 that ejects left but it doesn't hit me in the noggin. I could change that but I kind of like it. Another thing--It may need a little more powder. Tell tell signs is the brass not ejecting far enough. They need to clear the gun 3 to 5 feet to be reliable. When the load is about right the brass should land in a five foot circle with a 45acp.

#7 · (Edited)
Because it happens on the last round, I suspect an inertial feed: The round jumps out of the mag ahead of the breechface and in front of the extractor, from shock when the slide slams full open.

Causes: Oil in the mag reduce round retention. Weak mag spring does the same. Lack of a "dimple" on the follower does the same. Weak recoil spring could probably make inertial feeding more likely too. First step, wipe mags dry on the inside. Don't oil gun to the point where it drips into the mag.

See this thread demonstrating inertial feeding: Inertia feed and 9mm

#8 ·
I have a Sarco GI build that I finished with a few Wilson parts about 3 months ago I love shooting this thing and its 100% reliable except for 2 things. upon firing the last round the gun will jam about 1 in 3 times. The jam looks like this View attachment 646867

Except its in 45.

The other thing is about 1 in 50 cases hits me in the face or even jumps to the left side of the gun. I have tried more and less extractor tension but can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Alright thanks for any and all replies.

Nick
Just to be clear--
So I am assuming the last round fires and then doesn't eject? Or is that a live round that didn't chamber.?

#12 · (Edited)
A recoil spring that is too heavy can start closing the slide before the mag spring has raised the top round far enough for proper feeding. Worse with the last round in the mag, because the follower spring has less tension on it. In extremis, the slide just closes over the round in the mag and leaves an empty chamber.

If the slide just manages to push the round out of the mag, but the case rim is low on the stripper rail, such a misfeed may be possible. In all scenarios, a weak mag spring is likely the primary contributor; or the follower does not have a feature to retain the last round to make inertia feeding less likely.

The effect of recoil spring "weight" is demonstrated on feeding opportunity in this video. Even with a very soft recoil spring, this particular gun is not inducing inertia feeds. That is because the mag is what it should be. Ditto for the feedramp. If the OP has "improved" the feedramp, such that it has a shallower angle than spec, that will contribute to inertia feeding:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.