1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Para Ordnance P-series, what is the finnish on the carbon steel guns? How does it hold up?

·
Registered
163 Posts
While I do love my Paras, I will say this about their blued models. . . the frames are finished by a blind three toed sloth!

That cast frame has a finish on there that makes the painted HPs from AIM look sweet!

When I purchased my P16 I purposely chose the duo-tone model because of the finish on the cast frames. My p12 and p13 are quite sensitive to summer carry. Those things grow the gun gunk while I carry them!

And NO I am NOT on oily bo-hunk!

Derek

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree, Para finish sucks. I've just about toasted mine from constant dry and live fire. Looks like it's about time for hard-chrome

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gun gunk is rust??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nathan-
Gun gunk is rust. My P12 and P13 will start little spots of it if I carry them on hot/humid days. Hence my duo-tone P16!

I have often said that the 1911 design has a little bit of romance to it. . . but I guess the Para's don't like their romance sultry!

I am going to get my P12 frame done in some sort of finish so I can carry it in the summer time (no Mungo Jerry refrains please!
), but I haven't decided what yet. I do like hard chrome and it is a very durable finish but I have heard from some folks that HC is tough to get a even application on the *rough* frames that Para has. We shall see.

Derek

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blueing is controlled rust.Chrome or SS is the the only way for steel things handled by dirty humans.Think tools.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Para frames are actually Black Oxide. It is a form of oxidation through chemical conversion. Precisely timed oxidation, then a process similar to "fixing" to stop the process. Application of some oil, and presto!!

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Bart. Yup paint is what they are, but I wouldn't exactly use the phrase "just paint". They are electrostatic powder painted, then double baked for durability. I think I have seen you post that you had some problems with the paint durability?? Have you ever contacted the Para Service Center about it? They may be able to do something for you....
They would also be interested in knowing how your frame is making out. (as far as the finish is concerned) That's how they get feedback on product life, and that info helps them plan future product improvements.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts