1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a lot out of the thread on posting pictures with serial numbers shown and then the gun safe thread reminded me that I need some new insurance for my firearms. I used to have Allstate homeowners insurance but switched about seven years ago because they were so pricey. I went to a Farmers policy which was comparable coverage for a good bit less on the premiums but found their firearms coverage was limited to some very lame number like a max of 5k or less (I don't remember but Allstate was not limited or at least was high enough that I was covered for all of my guns).

Anyhow, I know the NRA has some offerings and could anyone with any recommendations on any companies or policies that you were happy with please point me in the right direction?

I know it is not an easy topic since some insurance companies are known to be weak when it actually comes time for the payout after a loss and that isn't quite as quantifiable as the details of the policy and premiums are.
In the past I did understand that Allstate was better at payouts than Farmers was; another get what you pay for thing for sure.

Just to be clear, I am asking for advice on either:

1.) Homeowners insurance that has a good firearms portion included or an option for a good rider in addition to the policy, or

2.) A stand alone policy strictly for firearms.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I have a rider with State Farm; annual premium comes out to about $170 per $10K worth of hardware insured. Never had to file a claim on firearms and, hopefully, never will, but they've been excellent on auto insurance claims.
They have required a lot of info and photos for this policy.

G

·
Well, I got a lot out of the thread on posting pictures with serial numbers shown and then the gun safe thread reminded me that I need some new insurance for my firearms. I used to have Allstate homeowners insurance but switched about seven years ago because they were so pricey. I went to a Farmers policy which was comparable coverage for a good bit less on the premiums but found their firearms coverage was limited to some very lame number like a max of 5k or less (I don't remember but Allstate was not limited or at least was high enough that I was covered for all of my guns).

Anyhow, I know the NRA has some offerings and could anyone with any recommendations on any companies or policies that you were happy with please point me in the right direction?

I know it is not an easy topic since some insurance companies are known to be weak when it actually comes time for the payout after a loss and that isn't quite as quantifiable as the details of the policy and premiums are.
In the past I did understand that Allstate was better at payouts than Farmers was; another get what you pay for thing for sure.

Just to be clear, I am asking for advice on either:

1.) Homeowners insurance that has a good firearms portion included or an option for a good rider in addition to the policy, or

2.) A stand alone policy strictly for firearms.

Thank you!
My insurance company wanted 700 for 30K in insurance. I decided to purchase a better safe and store some elsewhere. Screw them!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I have NRA insurance. My Allstate agent wanted a gazillion dollars and
an official appraisal for every gun.

I never had to file a claim on my NRA insurance, so I don't know how that
would go.

Joe

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Firearms insurance

I am not in the insurance business, but most all home insurance companies offer rider policies for such things as jewelry and guns. Their prices may vary, so it is best to get quote information.

I had State Farm home owners, and they are pulling out of Florida, so I called the state insurance commission and got a phone number where companies could e-mail me for new quotes. I finally went with a triple A rated company out of Florida, that offered better coverage and cheaper premiums, roughly $500 less per year than State Farm. The well known insurance companies with the heavy TV advertising such as GEICO, State Farm, Allstate, and others, have big marketing budgets for advertising. Guess who pays for their advertising? The people that pay their premiums! It is pretty difficult to spend millions of dollars on advertising and offer lower premiums than companies that don't have the big marketing budgets. Less overhead means better insurance rate premiums. There is nothing wrong with using a solid insurance company that doesn't have the "big name brand" of the major companies. You may be pleasantly surprised, like I was, to reduce your home owners annual insurance costs by 45%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have our guns insured with www.collectinsure.com. I also work there. Rate for $10,000 = $71 and for $30,000 = $193 (rates vary slightly by state but not much). Only have to list guns worth $5,000 or more. No serial numbers required.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Gentlemen! That is all helpful and good to know. We just closed on a new house and I am considering changing the homeowners insurance so I'll compare notes and try something new. The new house is pricey enough that it would be a good time to find something new and even though I have a good safe I'd still like the firearms coverage.

Thanks again for all of the help.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
You may also want to have a rider put on your homeowners insurance as a "collection" as opposed to just firearms. Usually the rates are better. I know someone who has done this and it was legit.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have NRA insurance. My Allstate agent wanted a gazillion dollars and
an official appraisal for every gun.
Hmmmmmm......Do they also appraise the things in the house like the tv?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Before you accept any deal mentioned above, take a look at the Chubb policy written at Eastern Insurance Group-Historic Firearms.

http://historicfirearms.com/

Their rates and terms are way below Lofton-NRA and the other companies mentioned. I especially like the policy provisions and the way they do business. You talk to a two person team.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you accept any deal mentioned above, take a look at the Chubb policy written at Eastern Insurance Group-Historic Firearms.

http://historicfirearms.com/

Their rates and terms are way below Lofton-NRA and the other companies mentioned. I especially like the policy provisions and the way they do business. You talk to a two person team.
Thank you for the info. I've been away a bit but want to thank you now that I some time.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Depends on how many firearms you own.......
Spoke with my agent two years ago and the premium for rider for 1.5 yrs paid for a LARGE fireproof gunsafe. With the one I already had, everything is secure now.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Depends on how many firearms you own.......
Spoke with my agent two years ago and the premium for rider for 1.5 yrs paid for a LARGE fireproof gunsafe. With the one I already had, everything is secure now.
Not being picky, but is your safe water-proof? If your safe is in the basement, and you have a fire, your basement might be filled with water for days and days. At least until you can get Serv-Pro to pump the water out.

This is a lesson almost all victims of fire learn...their basements are turned into swimming pools.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts