1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fedex dropped off my new Champion Parkerized (Model PX9511L) at the dealer this afternoon, so I stopped by the range after picking it up.

The Novak sights were registered perfectly.

The gun ran 50 handloads (all I had with me) without a problem, using both magazines that came with the gun.

One mag was a little rough inside, but I expect it will slick up with use.

The stock grips are pretty, with nice low-contrast grain on both grip panels.

The trigger pull seems quite heavy. They advertise 5 to 6 pounds, but it felt more like 7 pounds. For comparison, I fired 5 rounds through my Para (with 4# trigger), and the difference was major.

I was a bit surprised that there is no cover over the recoil spring cap. The manual described a spring cap cover that was removable with a 5/16" allen wrench - but no cover at all. You can look right down into the hole and see the recoil spring guide.

Based on my first impressions, this gun needs only a trip to the gunsmith for a 4# trigger. Looks like a keeper!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your Champion. I love mine! Not familiar with the recoil cap you mentioned. Mine strips down w/o any tools needed so it's sounds like they're identical.

I did find the grip checkering a bit sharp so I've added a set of Hogue walnut grips. Also thinking about the add-on checkered front strap (Brownell's or Wilson ?) but haven't decided yet.

Good luck,

Mac

[This message has been edited by Maclean3 (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Congrats. Mine came with a pretty crisp trigger that I figure breaks somewhere around 5lbs. I also find the grips a bit sharp for my taste. The recoil spring plug is open just like yours. It's basically a standard configuration (no FLGR) only difference being the open end in the plug.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I had some trouble with my Champion that I trace to some really bad ammo. Once I switched ammo and its been great. My Trigger is excellent. Probably about 4#. I found the grips to be a little sharp. I add Chip McCormick Slim grips but thats it. I am going to carry this gun as soon as recieve my Alessi Watch Six for it. I purchased the Parkerized version. The Frame is Green and the slide is black. Its quite pretty. The Rosewood grips really go well. I will try to post a pic when time permits

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I feel better about the lack of a cover over the spring cap if that's the way they all are. I wouldn't have noted it as a possible problem/omission if the manual hadn't stated that there should be such a cover.

I probably would have dispensed with it in any case, since tool-free take-down is definitely a desireable feature.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It allows you to simply install a FLGR if you are so inclined...Nothing extra to buy...Mine is a 99' and outfitted the same...
Welcome to the Fray...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I noticed the same as most everyone else, the grips are cheese grater sharp so I replaced them with some smooth rosewood, and had my local smith do a little work on innards a little, when he measured my trigger pull it was right on 4lbs, and nice and crisp, he even went so far as to say that if he were me that he wouldn't spend the money to have him do any more trigger work! The finish on mine is pretty thin comes off quite easily so be carefull.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Champ is a stainless V-10. I have yet to shoot it. Any opinions on the comped Champs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts