1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my WWI to the range today and fired 50rds with NO FTF, IT did well nice grouping with it, about as good ad my kimber and dan wesson.

very happy with THE NEW COLT COMPANY, hope they come out with a Civilian 1911 from the 1920's maybe a John Dillinger model

·
Registered
642 Posts
Frank, I'm very glad it worked out well for you....my O1911 is my favorite 1911 of any type or brand that I've ever owned....like you, I find the accuracy more than acceptable...quite good, actually....and it's my primary carry gun.

Didn't John D. have several 1911's converted to full-auto? I've experienced that one time, from a firing pin jam, and I do not recommend it unless you want to bring down low flying aircraft, but I bet there'd be a waiting list for such a gun.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea I bet john D had a lot of 45. I would just like to see colt do a pre-war 1911 in a high gloss blue,
on my WWI some of the parts (ie) hammer, grip safely are SO nicely blued like a royle blue.. what do you think...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Since the O1911 came out, just about every person I've discussed the gun with has opined the same thing....wouldn't it be nice if they took the same basic gun, put civilian markings on it, did a nice blue, and came close to replicating a pre-WWII Colt....that extra polish would run the price up quite a bit, though, even though many claim to be ready to put out the cash....personally, the 01911 was at the upper end of what I wanted to pay, and for my uses (carry gun), the higher finish would be wasted, as would the extra $300 I paid for the gun....nope, I wouldn't pay $1200-$1300 for such a gun....I actually paid that extra to make the gun uglier with the parkerize, but nitnoid things were corrected, the finish is much better for carry, and most importantly, the cost wasn't in an immediate lump sum with the purchase price, more a pay as you go.....

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I see their full-auto experience mirrored mine, and they tried to do something about it....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Nice photo- I also like shooting my 1911 repro (01911). I haven't found the small sights or the short tang to be an issue. The pistol groups almost as well as my accurized hardball gun and is gorgeous to boot. I'd like to see a side-by-side photo of the 01911 and the 01918 to compare finishes, if that is possible. Might have to buy the new 01918...
Bob
PS- I see you were a tanker, Frank- I was with 2-37 Armor in An Najaf...great guys, totally professional.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I like the full auto .38 super with the thompson forgrip. I wish I could find more info on it!

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
WWI Repos are impressive. Mine will make one hole at 25 yards from a Ransom Rest with decent ammo. If only I could shoot that good. Below is 7 rounds at 15 yards. This was at an indoor range where the little sights are probably not the best thing to have.

I would also go for a Dillinger Special. I guess it would be in 38 super as I think he liked that.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
1911A1 Repro

It's obvious from the amount of responses that Colt is on to something with the WWI repro...the new O1918 is a great idea and gets Colt away from farming out the bluing, if they're still doing their own at all. I'd like to see Colt take another shot at a 1911A1 repro. Maybe they can get the parkerizing right this time. I have enough small parts to make it more correct, like housings, triggers, extractors, etc. I think a "second generation" 1911A1 would sell. I'd buy one tomorrow.
Bob
PS- Beautiful gun and a GREAT photo, Dakota!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts