1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched several youtube videos on how to replace the firing pin spring on a firing pin block (Series 80 Colt) 1911, but can't re-assemble the gun without a third hand. I usually have my wife hold a plastic automatic pencil against the firing pin block when I put the firing pin stop back on.

Anyone have an easier way to do this?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is...if I can explain it properly. And assuming you have done this before...3rd hand or not.

Install extractor...line up so the firing pin plunger can fit in.
Install Firing pin plunger and spring. Push down the plunger a bit, then push extractor down a bit, and the FP plunger should stay in, but move freely up and down so to speak.
Push down the firing pin plunger all the way(or enough) with 'thumb'...or whatever.
Install Firing pin and spring...push down. Easy with a punch or similar tool.
Release FP plunger(thumb) and the Firing pin should be held in place by the plunger.
Install FP stop. Firing pin is still being held down by the way.
Push down on FP a bit, push down on FP plunger a bit and it should come up, and the FP should release and pop up into the FP stop....whew.....

Test to see if properly done.

Much easier to do, than explain.

Wear glasses...;)

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
I use two punches or hex keys with the slide resting on it's sights. The thing is, after installing the firing pin, always remember to look at the breech face to see if you have locked the firing pin forward. If you did, just press the safety plunger which lets it snap back into the stop plate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wear glasses...

I second Irishlad on this one! I've sent the firing pin across the table a few times! Remember, all firing pins are loaded! :dope:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
There is...if I can explain it properly. And assuming you have done this before...3rd hand or not.

Install extractor...line up so the firing pin plunger can fit in.
Install Firing pin plunger and spring. Push down the plunger a bit, then push extractor down a bit, and the FP plunger should stay in, but move freely up and down so to speak.
Push down the firing pin plunger all the way(or enough) with 'thumb'...or whatever.
Install Firing pin and spring...push down. Easy with a punch or similar tool.
Release FP plunger(thumb) and the Firing pin should be held in place by the plunger.
Install FP stop. Firing pin is still being held down by the way.
Push down on FP a bit, push down on FP plunger a bit and it should come up, and the FP should release and pop up into the FP stop....whew.....

Test to see if properly done.

Much easier to do, than explain.

Wear glasses...;)
Yep, this is the way I learned. Its a feature...;)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I manipulate the firing pin stop and plunger with my right hand, by pushing the firing pin block plunger in with my index finger and the firing pin stop with my thumb. The left hand deals with the firing pin and spring. This is done with the slide on its muzzle on the table.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
As has been stated, the plunger can be used to lock the firing pin forward. When this is done, there's nothing holding the firing pin stop in, and you have both hands free. Just make sure that you are controlling the firing pin when you hit the plunger with the stop off, it has a habit of finding the most inaccessible place in any room if allowed to fly free.....

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts