1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got no help in the maintenance and trouble shooting thread so I thought I'd give you guys a try. I have recently had a major problem with my para-ordnance 12-45 LDA. At a recent range session I started experiencing multiple misfires. sixteen out of fifty rounds failed to fire. When I examined the rounds that did not fire there was no firing pin indention at all. Looked like the firing pin never even touched the rounds. I pulled the firing pin and spring, cleaned everything and I still have the same problem except now about every other round fails to fire. Could this be resulting from the firing pin safety, weak firing pin spring, or is it likely something in the sear lock up. I'd appreciate any help. I emailed para-ordinance and they have not responded. This ia a duty gun or rather "was" a duty gun and has had around two thousand rounds fired through it. The problem first arose around fifteen hundred rounds. I'd appreciate any help or recommendations.

------------------
Chief

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Chief, I’m not real familiar with the guts of the LDA but seen diagrams, I think there is firing pin safety block system like the Colt series 80 in the slide, if the trigger is not depressed fully rearward it will not raise the plunger high enough in the slide to allow the firing pin to pass (this is common on series 80’s if someone installed a over travel screw in the trigger to limit its travel).

Remove the firing pin & the safety plunger and see if there is a dent on them limiting the passage.

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Pete is correct, there is a firing pin
block mech (ser 80 if you will) in the LDA. the lever is more of a sheet metal stamping though in this case.

unload the gun (sorry habbit)
drop a pencil down the bore with the muzzle
pointin up.(eracer against the firing pin)
pull the trigger slow and fast and different ways and see if you can get it Not to move.
If Pete is correct in what he is saying if you pull the trigger slowly and easly, the firing pin block did not get out of the way as the hammer falls.

If you do find this send it to para. There have been several revisions in the LDA mech.

the other thing easy to try is take the firing pin and extractor out and slide out the firing pin block (plunger) and re assemble the top. try your pencil test again and see if this clears everything up?
and again back to Para for repairs.

Your not saying your gettin Light hits, your getting No hits I think is what your saying?

geo ><>

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
When I think of PO I think rough, I think sharp, I think serious shortcomings in quality. That said I saw my first LDA today and it was probably the least awful PO I've seen. OK, it seemed to be within current industry limits in terms of fit and function.

I agree with the guys that the passive safety needs a little tuning, a not-unknown phenom with that system.

The LDA action was kinda interesting but holds no real interet for me personally. Like the C&S system, it looks like sort of a pseudo not-condition-one kind of deal, where it really is cocked but just doesn't look like it. More stuff to go wrong. Just taking the slide off, the connector bar came loose from the trigger. Somebody not noticing that would put it back together that way and things would be a minor mess.

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Chief, I'd take Ned's advise and check the mechanics of the pistol throughly, you can fire dry fire, hold the trigger rearward, take the point of your pencil, push the firing pin in and feel for any interference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts