1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation with my 1918 Colt 1911. The firing pin slide stop will move off of its position (locked by firing pin) and cause a jam. My suspicion is that I have a weak firing pin spring causing it to allow the pin slide stop to move.

Any and input on this is welcome.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It's probably caused by a sloppy firing pin stop fit combined with a weak firing pin spring. The permanent fix is to fit an oversized firing pin stop, like the one sold by EGW, and get a new extra power firing pin spring.

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
The fitted FPS is for ultra-reliability, which in my view is not required on a non-shooter like an M1911 or Government Model of the M1911 period. I would clean the FP bore, inspect the firing pin and replace the FP spring which should correct it. The FP could also be bent which would put it in a bind. If I had to guess, I'd say the FP bore and parts are gunked-up with old oil and firing residues or the spring is weak, broken or rusty.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
In case you need to replace the recoil spring as well. Order a recoil spring from Wolff, they will also send a firing pin spring along with the recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The fitted FPS is for ultra-reliability, which in my view is not required on a non-shooter like an M1911 or Government Model of the M1911 period. I would clean the FP bore, inspect the firing pin and replace the FP spring which should correct it. The FP could also be bent which would put it in a bind. If I had to guess, I'd say the FP bore and parts are gunked-up with old oil and firing residues or the spring is weak, broken or rusty.
Start here...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, the FP channel is clean, the FP spring is not rusted, and the FP does not look bent. The FP stop however has play in it. I order the oversized stop and extra power FP spring. Will advise when parts arrive.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I always assume that people do the cleaning/inspection before posting here, but I should probably have learned my lesson by now, because many people DON'T think of thoroughly cleaning first simply because they may not realize how much crud can build up in a pistol. No offense to anyone here, I just need to remember to start with simpler solutions than what I usually do.

I think I must clean my pistols too often :biglaugh:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up - replaced with xtra strong FP spring and oversized FP stop. Put 100 rounds downrange with no issues. thanks again for the advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts