1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after firing about 3000 rounds, the firing pin stop on my Springfield Loaded cracked today (or was previously cracked and I just happened to find it).

Why? Who knows! Weird!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
One of those weird things that happen..wait till the mainspring housing pin breaks..it is another of the wierd ones too.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
A fitted firing pin stop should be a mandatory spare part in your range bag. They are usually the first thing to break - nothing to be worried about, although 3,000 rds. seems a bit early. Get a good aftermarket stop (I like Wilson Bulletproof).

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
A fitted firing pin stop should be a mandatory spare part in your range bag.
Well here's a follow up. Went and found a Ed Brown firing pin stop today. The package is marked "manufactured to maximum tolerances...some handfitting maybe necessary".....it dropped straight into my slide.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
max toler. On a gun!
ROFL!!!

We came out with the O/S fp stop in 91' and made in .482 wide because that is the widest one I have ever measured. usually you have to trim it down to .479 ish. but still see a few .481 openings around.
The inside square corner on most of the stops is a stress riser and that is where they crack.(through to the firing pin hole) In my collection I have one that than cracked out the top on the same side also.

the oversize stop helps the gun in feeding and ejecting by keeping it from turning and going in and out.
geo ><>

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Quote from George..."the oversize stop helps the gun in feeding and ejecting by keeping it from turning and going in and out.
geo ><>"

Hey George...what are we keeping from "turning and going in and out"?

TIA

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Sorry Smiley face King.
good call marbo
and the new Mr. Modrator (congradulations)

Yes the extractor. If it rotates freely it can block a round coming up the bolt face, it it rotates the other way it can rotate away from the case waiting to be ejected. As the gun comes out of battery the barrel drops down .050 or so. you are at the bottom of the extractor hook. if it is loose it can turn counter clockwise away from the case and not eject. (most prominent on the last round as there is no case to hold it up as it waits to be ejected)
If the extractor moves in and out a lot it can catch on the case on feeding.
geo ><>

Vapors I have 2 questions
was it a mim part?
was it plated?
thank you

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by George Smith:

Vapors I have 2 questions
was it a mim part?
was it plated?
thank you
George to be honest, I can't really tell. I don't see the tell tale injection marks that you typically see on a MIM part. It came out of a Blued Loaded modex (px9608) and it appears to be a blued part. FYI, the original part measured .466" wide. The Ed Brown measured about .468" wide. Not much difference.

I think at some point, I may see about getting one of your parts and fit it to the slide....maybe I can find a vendor at AREA 1 this weekend who might have one.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Vapors
thank you for the info, and your kind words.
one last question. the inside corner where it cracked through, was it a square corner or is there a radius?
geo ><>

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the inside corner where it cracked through, was it a square corner or is there a radius?

Perfectly square....the Ed Brown part that I replaced it with appears to be the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Firing pin stops crack at the inside square corner
slides crack at the ejection port, the inside square corner at the bolt face, or where the square corner is where the recoil is absorbed in the spring tunnel
dust covers crack where the thin section meets the frame where there is a inside square corner.
Hammers have broken off where the hammer meets the round circle of the hammer.
Rails crack at, you guessed it, the inside square corner.
Extractor hooks break off at the inside square corner.
When some squeez slides to tighten them up sometimes they split down the rails. (anyone?)
Barrel bushings sometimes shear the locking lug off at the inside square corner.
Ejector legs where they meet the ejector body or the extended ejetor crack where?? you guessed it!

Could there be a lesson here somewhere?

geo ><>

·
Banned
14,948 Posts

Could there be a lesson here somewhere?

geo ><>
Right angles and square corners are very bad things????

Actually, George is right as usual. Sharp corners in metal are one of the first places for a stress fracture to occur. I always try to file a slight radius into any sharp corner, provided there is enough material for me to do so.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
My 26 year old Colt Gov't Model just did the same thing (you just can't get quality anymore, ha). I only have a couple of Gazillion rounds through it.

Teddy Jacobson at "Actions by T" fixed me up and took care of some other details needing attention. I guess I am good for another 26 years now!

P.S. Teddy does GREAT work.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Firing pin stops crack at the inside square corner
George, is there any chance that you're going to be at AREA 1 this weekend as either a shooter or a vendor? If so, I could pick up a firing pin stop from you at the match.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by CCV:
My 26 year old Colt Gov't Model just did the same thing (you just can't get quality anymore, ha). I only have a couple of Gazillion rounds through it.

P.S. Teddy does GREAT work.
CCV
have you been told a million times not to exagrate!

and I suspect Teddy does good work, have never heard otherwise. (that is a good sign)
geo ><>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts