1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to replace my "new style" firing pin stops with the square bottom versions and would just like to get some opinions before I place my order.

I have narrowed my choices down to 3 manufacturers, and would like opinions from those of you who use them. 1) Harrison Custom (the one I'm leaning toward) 2) EGW 3) Wilson's Bulletproof square bottom. They will be used on 5inch, .45acp 1911's. Thanks again.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have used 2 of the EGW and they are great. I also bought long hammer struts so that the hammer would properly preload the slide. Don't forget to chamfer the hole to help prevent cracking. With the hammer down make sure the bottom of the f/p stop and the bottom of the hammer touch. There is some adjustment in this area.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
What I am reading is that neither is needed until you start replacing other parts and the strut and stop that were working fine no longer do so.

This is what I am getting from the threads, or have I got lost in all the technical talk of radiusing, apa and other initials and a bunch of other stuff that I don't have time to learn today

Is this right?

Doc

and thanks for the links bama.. don't know how every one comes up with them, but the hundreds of irrelevant search results were too much to go thru without time.

seems like search works best when you don't need it, when you already know where what you want is

·
Registered
502 Posts
Your strut may be long enough. I just like having extra parts for backup. To check: (check with existing fp stop)

1)Assemble pistol without slide return spring.
2)hammer should be all the way forward.
3)in this condition. Is there forward force being applied to slide?
A) if yes then your strut is long enough and proceed to step 4.
B) if no then order a longer one.

Stay tuned for how to adjust the fp stop. Step 4

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like to refer to the face of the fp stop as the portion that faces the hammer. Along each side of the fp stop are two thin rails that fit into the fp stop slot in the slide. The fps should be oversize for your slot. You can choose to adjust their thickness by removing metal from the face of the rails or by removing metal from the entire backing of the fps. By removing metal from the entire backing you can move the face of the fps deeper into the slide. Removing metal from the rail faces will keep the fps face as far outward as possible.

Also, when fitting the width. Be careful to keep the fp hole centered.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
What I am reading is that neither is needed until you start replacing other parts and the strut and stop that were working fine no longer do so.

This is what I am getting from the threads, or have I got lost in all the technical talk of radiusing, apa and other initials and a bunch of other stuff that I don't have time to learn today

Is this right?

Doc

and thanks for the links bama.. don't know how every one comes up with them, but the hundreds of irrelevant search results were too much to go thru without time.

seems like search works best when you don't need it, when you already know where what you want is
Here you go Doc; my favorite method of searching forums. This will help other folks too.

1. In Google search, enter the following without brackets: [site:]
2. Following [site:] with no space, enter the forum name, for example [1911forum.com]
3. Hit the spacebar and enter your search term. In this example I will use [EGW firing pin stop]

The Google search window will include the following:
site:1911forum.com EGW firing pin stop
Hit enter and it will return this: https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...p://forums.1911forum.com/+egw+firing+pin+stop

I do this with a few forums and have them on my bookmarks bar. It's much better than the forums search tools and also beats doing a general Google search.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
I used the square bottom FPS from EGW. Although I can't say it reduced the recoil any, just the way it felt. I could definitely tell the recoil was different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts