1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield EMP and the last time out with it the firing pin stopped striking the primer. I attempted to take the firing pin out of the gun to inspect it and clean the firing pin channel. However, the firing pin will not push into the gun to remove the firing pin stop. The pin will move forward about 1/64-of-an-inch and then it stops. It cannot be pushed into the gun so I cannot remove the firing pin stop. I have used penetrating oil and a spray cleaner on the rear of the gun and front of the firing pin hoping that it was only blocked by dirt. But, that has done nothing and when pushing on the firing pin it hits a hard stop and will not move any further. Short of contacting Springfield and sending the slide back to them, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a 1911-style gun and might have a suggestion on how to remove the firing pin stop.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,069 Posts
Have you tried "fishing around" from the front, with a paperclip, or something?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I've replaced all my Springfield 1911 firing pins with steel Ed Browns:

You might need to wrap some fine sandpaper around it and twist it around, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the sound of it, it sounds like the spring and pin are jammed - and quite likely with the FP tip binding it all.
I've spent a little more time diagnosing the problem and it appears the firing pin is broken. If I push in on the hammer side of the firing pin, it will move inwards to where it is flush with the firing pin stop. However, the tip of the firing pin does not move outwards when the rear of the firing pin is pushed in - meaning the tip of the firing pin is disconnected from the back of the firing pin.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I've spent a little more time diagnosing the problem and it appears the firing pin is broken. If I push in on the hammer side of the firing pin, it will move inwards to where it is flush with the firing pin stop. However, the tip of the firing pin does not move outwards when the rear of the firing pin is pushed in - meaning the tip of the firing pin is disconnected from the back of the firing pin.
Interesting. Ed Brown makes a good steel replacement that I linked to...Springfield will probably only replace it with titanium.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
What a great idea. Now, how do I get the firing pin out of the gun when the firing pin cannot be pushed in far enough to remove the firing pin stop?
I try to avoid forcing parts on guns, but it sounds like you might have to force it. Ordinarily, I use a cheap wooden chopstick with a tip to remove firing pin stops. If you can't force the firing pin inside and past the firing pin stop, you might need a solid steel punch and a hammer to break the firing pin loose.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get a new firing pin spring and firing pin stop while I was at It:

I've never had an EMP, so I really don't know if these would even fit. It might be worth a phone call first.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Nah...I think I'll let Springfield do it, I'm sure they've encountered this issue previously and have a solution for the problem. When I get the slide back from them, I can change the firing pin to steel if they put in another titanium firing pin.
When I had an issue with my SA 1911, Penne B took good care of me.
I'd contact SA Customer Service, and if they take care of you like they did me, you'll be glad you let SA take care of it.

If I remember correctly, it was less than 3 weeks, from first contact to having my 1911 back home again.

So unless you're a Master Gunsmith, and have all of the needed parts to fix it, I'd send it to SA.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I try to avoid forcing parts on guns, but it sounds like you might have to force it. Ordinarily, I use a cheap wooden chopstick with a tip to remove firing pin stops. If you can't force the firing pin inside and past the firing pin stop, you might need a solid steel punch and a hammer to break the firing pin loose.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get a new firing pin spring and firing pin stop while I was at It:

I've never had an EMP, so I really don't know if these would even fit. It might be worth a phone call first.
There are a number of sources for steel EMP firing pins. I'll contact Springfield and send them the slide. When I get it back from them I'll change the firing pin to steel if they install another titanium firing pin.

·
Premium Member
15,579 Posts
SA has pretty fast turn around, the EMP firing pin is unique in length so until an after market Co. makes them you either turn a full size down, or get it from SA. They have on request supplied steel firing pins, so ask in terms such as wanting to not have light strikes, and the steel pin would be more dependable, etc.

LOG

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
There are a number of sources for steel EMP firing pins. I'll contact Springfield and send them the slide. When I get it back from them I'll change the firing pin to steel if they install another titanium firing pin.
Good. I'd have SA deal with it, because I'm not real sure how you'd get the firing pin out, if it didn't want to fall out on its own. After removing the firing pin stop, I'd probably try driving a new Ed Brown firing pin backwards in through the breech face. But they'll figure it out.

SA has good service...they'll take care of you (y)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Guess I'm missing something, not that unusual.
Edit: yep, I was missing something. I meant to drill/mill through the FPS.😁
Maybe that's a dumb suggestion, just brainstorming. Trying to learn.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts