1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general section as well, but I'll try and get some bites here from the "Springer" crowd.

I am not new to pistols in general and own a few, but the 1911 platform is new to me. I have been haunting this site for some time as the 1911 has interested me for quite some time, I just have been slow to pick one up as there are so many upgrades/options and makes.

I have a few questions in regards to Springfield 1911's so I'll let er rip.

First, should I go ahead and purchase brand new or try and get something used to learn on? Next, I have been looking at shops for some time and I have 2 guns in particular that I'm interested in purchasing. One is a Loaded model (blued) for $650.00 and the other in a Loaded MC Operator for $970.00. Are these decent deals(the gun are NIB)?

My impressions of the two guns wwere very good. I liked them both, and fit and finish was also great. I just couldn't put the Operator down truthfully. I thought the armorkote and rail were funky in the beginning, but the pachmayr grips and feel of this gun was really nice and I almost bought it right then. That gun is on mind.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
your on the right track. you found something you couldnt put down.

different people look for different things in a 1911, if you like what you are seeing on one, than its probably gonna make you happy.

the chances are, youll change your tastes somewhat, and thats ok.. its ok to have more than one 1911.. lol..

take care, springfield makes good pistols...

russel
SDMF

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Masheen76,
Welcome aboard! I have (4) SAs to include a TRP, MC Op, etc and love my MC Operator...I had SA Custom serrate the top of the slide and checker the rear. 4476 flawless rds thru it...Grips don't look purty, but they flippin' work. See below

Go on buy one, you KNOW you want to.... :)

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had one more question.

One of the dealers I spoke with told me that a couple of the Springfield models I happened to be looking at are made in Brazil by Taurus. This gentleman also told me that the MC Operator I happened to be looking at was manufactured in the U.S. Both handguns were brand new, so is there any validity to this?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Someone else can answer this better than me but I think all SA frames are forged in Brazil but most are machined and assembled in the US. There is a difference in the 'N' and 'NM' serial numbers. I've never heard that Taurus has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Both Springfield's slides and frames, and Taurus pistols are made in Brazil, that part is right. But neither one makes the others guns although I'm reading of a lot of gun "salesmen" making this claim lately. Springfields are "made" by Imbel, a highly respected and high quality firm. Some are completely assembled in Brazil (like the GI) while others are finished here in the US (like the TRPs and MC Ops).
BTW, I have a MC Operator. It is a very, very nice pistol indeed. In fact, I would put mine up against anyones Wilson, Nighthawk, etc as far as fit and finish goes. Mine has also been 100% reliable out of the box, and is as accurate as my old eyes will let it be. I added a magwell, and some Wilson G10 grips, and couldn't be happier. Good luck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
glocker1911 said:
BTW, I have a MC Operator. It is a very, very nice pistol indeed. In fact, I would put mine up against anyones Wilson, Nighthawk, etc as far as fit and finish goes. Mine has also been 100% reliable out of the box, and is as accurate as my old eyes will let it be. I added a magwell, and some Wilson G10 grips, and couldn't be happier. Good luck.
Just my .02 -

I have a SA TRP Professional and it is without-a-doubt the most accurate pistol I've ever owned and shot. Where you line up the sights - is where the bullet goes. I've had people look at me if I was stupid for paying $2k for a custom 1911... but after they send a few shots down range with my Pro, only then, do they understand.

Now, I "paid" for this accuracy - but if you add up the Kimbers, Colt and others 1911 pistols I've owned before the Pro, I could have bought (2) more SA TRP Professionals!

-Nick

·
Registered
405 Posts
The Brazilian thing will come up from time to time don't pay it no heed. Springfield has excellent customer service and if you have any problems they will make it right.

Go with the budget, you won't be disappointed. Both deals are seem like what they are going for. I personally like the Operator a lot and just might be the next 1911 I will look at.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Masheen76 said:
I also had one more question.
One of the dealers I spoke with told me that a couple of the Springfield models I happened to be looking at are made in Brazil by Taurus. This gentleman also told me that the MC Operator I happened to be looking at was manufactured in the U.S. Both handguns were brand new, so is there any validity to this?
ALL SA slides and frames are forged in Brazil by IMBEL. Reportedly, the lower end guns are completely assembled there, higher-end guns have various degrees of assembly performed in the US. Don't be put off by the whole "Brazil" aspect of these firearms, though. IMBEL isn't some fly-by-night 3rd world schlock-house, it's a prolific small arms manufacturer and was one of the companies licensed by FN to produce the FAL, which everyone knows is the finest battle rifle ever made. :rock: But I digress...

Across the whole Interweb, it's very rare to find anyone saying anything bad about the MC Operator. I think that's a good price; I paid only $21 less than that when I bought mine almost 2 years ago.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Yep....on the right track. Springer make up the majority of my 1911 herd now, but that's just me.

Whatever you end up with....enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Masheen,
If you have the funds, go with the MC operator. The price you quoted was very good. The MC will have better fitting than the loaded--better crowning, a better fitted bushing and barrel/slide fit, and a truly smooth slide cycling.

The loadeds I've handled varied more in quality & fit. Sometimes you get lucky and get one that was very well put together; then again, it's a hit or miss. All the MC's I've handled exhibited consistently good fit and workmanship.

I ended up getting one just last month after wavering for a couple of years. The workmanship is truly very good. My only complaint is the creep in the trigger--seems to be standard on most of SA's non-custom guns.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent. Then there will be no need for a third.
A third double post or a third brow beating???

Because if it's the former then I still have two more to go.

I'm a member on quite a few online forums and can say without doubt, you are the most abrasive mod I've ever been in contact with.

I make an online "faux pas" and you counsel me,..fine I got it. Then you track down a thread of mine and post another reprimand.

Apply some of your own "counsel", and stop double posting.

Thanks for the warm welcome MarkW. (end sarcasm)

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to thank all the "constructive" and informative post made in response to my thread.

I believe I have come to an educated descision based on all of your good input.

I purchased the MC Operator 2 days ago, and I'm anxiously waiting for the background/non-ccw wait period to end so I can pick it up.

Once again, thank you for the help.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
While you're waiting for the government's permission to receive the pistol purchase a standard M1911 recoil system: recoil spring plug and guide, both in Government Model size. Put the long guide and hollow plug back in the box.

Put a couple hundred rounds thru the pistol and locate a good, 3-day basic tactical pistol course with in a day's drive. Don't make any other changes until you've taken the course.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While you're waiting for the government's permission to receive the pistol purchase a standard M1911 recoil system: recoil spring plug and guide, both in Government Model size. Put the long guide and hollow plug back in the box.

Put a couple hundred rounds thru the pistol and locate a good, 3-day basic tactical pistol course with in a day's drive. Don't make any other changes until you've taken the course.

-- Chuck
Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.