1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Range Update -- First 1911 - Kimber Eclipse Custom II

Range Update:
Put 100 rounds through the Eclipse today and was very happy. Extremely accurate (even for my lousy shooting skills), excellent feel in the hand, superb trigger, and almost no problems. I did have 1 failure to feed. Actually, with 1 round left in the magazine, the slide locked back. Had to hit the slide release, which chambered the last round and it fired perfectly. I think this has something to do with how the magazine is contacting the slide release. I say this because with the magazine empty and the slide locked back it was impossible to release the slide. You had to drop the magazine first before the slide release would work. I hit the mag with my Dremel this afternoon after the range (see photo) and was able to get it so that you could release the slide with the empty mag insterted (and it still locks back). So we'll see if this helps when I go back out for the next round.

Also, quick question. You can see in one of the new pictures that there are little copper looking marks on the top of the slide. I can't remove them with normal cleaner. Is this normal and any ideas about removing?

Thanks for everyone's input on magazines. Seems like Wilson is popular and it is also what the gun shop recommended, so I will have to pick up a couple. (and

-------------------------------------
Picked up my first 1911 yesterday at the local shop. Agonized for three hours about which one I really wanted and finally decided on this Kimber Eclipse Custom II.

I have always loved the 1911 style, but never really thought it was a realistic option considering the price and the "scary" nature of cocked and locked. So, I relegated myself to the Glock 21, which never quite fit my hand, until recently when I started reading this forum. The forum provided excellent insight as well as got me asking questions at my range and talking to a bunch of people who own an love 1911s.

The reason that I went for the Eclipse is that it had everything I thought I wanted. Stainless since it will be my carry weapon, night sights, front strap checkering at the 30 lpi, excellent trigger, etc. Didn't really mind that it is not an ambi-safety. When I say "thought I wanted" I admit that this is my first 1911 and probably have no idea what I really wanted, but based on reading it seemed like a good place to start.

One thing that I could use some suggestions on is new mags. Since this gun only came with 1, I obviously would like a couple more and have read a lot about different styles. Anyone with this gun, or similar, that could recommend a mag they really like?

By the way, tomorrow will be my first rounds through the gun. Field stripped and cleaned like the manual said, lubed according to directions (tried to be cautious since this forum seems to have plenty of tales of over lubrication), and am planning on doing 500 rounds of FMJ to brake in as directed.

I let you know how the first day out goes and I appreciate any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Beautiful gun, I love the finish on the Eclipse. As far as the mags go Kimber Pro's or Wilson's would be good choices, I use both with no problems. When your at the range today make sure you throw a little oil on it every 100 rounds and if your going to do all 500 rounds today it would be a good idea to give it a quick cleaning about every 100-150 rounds also. Have Fun

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Congrats on the Eclipse. Nice gun.

You won't go wrong with Wilson or Kim Pro mags. I wouldn't use the stock mag unless you really had to.

Good luck and good shooting! :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love that gun! I shoot Wilsons with mine and they have been flawless, I also have had real good luck with the 10 round Chip M. mags at steel shoots...

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 keep it lubed, my eclipse kept running dry on me during break in.

BTW i have 6 Chip McCormick mags. 2 are match grade, and 4 are the classic series. no problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had an Eclipse once before. I really liked it, but I did not like how easily the finish scratched. I had to sell the Eclipse to fund the purchase of 2 Sig pistols for duty use. I couldn't stand not having a 1911, so I bought a regular Custom II recently.

Oddly enough, with both the Eclipse and the current Custom II, the only mags that I have used that are 100% were the stock mags that came with the gun. I have only tried Wilson Combat 47Ds, so I may have better luck with other magazines. I have 3 47Ds and all 3 have jammed the gun on 5-6 occasions with perhaps 300 rounds through each mag. I have heard horror stories about the stock mag, as well as high praise for Wilson, Chip McCormick, etc. I intend on trying other mags in the future eventually. I know my example is one in a million, but it is very rare where you read a post stating that the stock mag works well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eclipse Custom II is also my first 1911. I have had it for a few months and love it.

I have had very good luck with Wilson 47D mags. The CM PowerMag did OK but I had some first round feeding issues with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts