1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this fourm and the wonderful world of 1911's.
I was recently given the opertunity to choose a gun from a late uncle's collection to remember him by.
After some pondering I chose a Remington Rand M1911A ser. No.171xxxx.It seems to be ALL orignal with hardly no finish and some very small pitting.
Since I have no intention of selling this piece,should I consider refinishing and enjoy shooting it? Or should it be left as is and kept far from the range?? T.I.A. Star

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
Did your uncle carry it with him in the military? If so I'd leave it alone. If not then it's up to you, but remember that refinishing a gun will remove any value or desirability as a collectible. It'll just be another refinished 1911, even if done to perfection. Frankly, I like the look of heavily-worn GI 1911s as they look like they have a story to tell. Minty "vault guns" may be more cosmetically pleasing, but they have little more history behind them than a commercial gun.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Star,
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with DSK, I would leave it just like your uncle used it. Take it to the range, enjoy it, and clean it when finished and you should get a life time of enjoyment out of it and then pass it down the family tree.

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.I thought of re-parking for 2 reasons 1) I'll never sell it so I'm not too concerned about resale $$.
2) It is bare metal! Just can't bear the thoughts of any gun being pron to rust.
But I totaly agree with what was said about the gun having a issued appearence,just something about that.
Thanks Star

Hey where's a good source for a
G.I. barrel??

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
How bad is the old barrel? I have a refinished original HS barrel I can sell you if interested.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The barrel doesn't seem too bad,(but I havent compared it to a new one yet). I just thought I'd replace it and put back what appears to be "the orignal?"
When I do shoot this thing I'll need all the help avalible(ie new barrel)to assist my lack of handgun accuracy.
Thanks, Star

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Try it...you may be pleasantly surprised. I'd love to hear the range report!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll do just that!(smile) This sat. afternoon may be the big day.Want to hear a good one? This will be the first .45 apc I've ever shot. Shot tons of 9mm,.38,357 and others but always wanted a 1911.
Just to let you guys(dsk&ty)know a well trusted local smith echoed your comments:enjoy it,shoot it,clean it,oil it,but don't refinnish it!!!! Thanks for the on target advice..... Star

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Boy are you in for a surprise! You haven't shot a 1911 if you haven't shot a 45! LOL...Have fun abd get back here with that range report!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Range Report: Well Took ol silver out for a test shoot sat.WOWEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Grouped around 6-8"@25yds.It shot about 8" high and 6" to the left. I know that's not even close to being good enough to brag about but I never claimed to be a marksman(smile).
The gun feed and funcitioned flawlessly.I think with some good ammo(I used 1967 g.i.& wolf sat.)and some practice it will get better.
It didn't take but 1 mag and my 13yr old son said "I just found a new best friend" He likes the narrow grip and the BIG hole in the barrel. Star

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Coolness!
Aint nothing like the roar of a 1911. DSK and I took a few oldies out to the range today...been a month for me...I feel better!
Glad you had a good gun run today! Dont forget the cleaning
just finished mine!

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts