1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I've always admired the model 1911, (I guess that come from watching a lot of old war movies.) So several months ago I went to a local gun shop and asked the guy behind the counter if I could try one out. He grabbed a firearm off the wall picked up a box of shells and took me over to the indoor range. There he showed me how to load, cock and how to handle and fire it. I probabley fired about 30 rounds and I was in heaven! When it came time to pay for the rental, time and shells he said it was on the house and he told me to come back if I ever wanted to try it again.

To make a long story short my wife surprised me with a gift certificate to that gun shop and now I need you help so I get the right one. I'll basically only use it for target practice and about the only thing I know for sure is that I would like to get one that is made in the US. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
226 Posts
My suggestion is to go with a COLT;) Not knowing your financial situation, it's hard to suggest which model. The Gold Cup is an excellent target pistol but if money is tight, the 1991A1 is a good starter and as accurate as you'll be with several years of practice. If it was the old war movies that stirred your interest the the 1911, the WWI replica may be what you need to satisfy your 1911 cravings. If concealed carry is something you might consider, the Defender is as accurate as any of them and only 22.5 ounces unloaded with a 3 inch bbl and still carries 8 rounds. 1911 is synonymous with COLT; always has and always will be. I'd try a Colt first. Later on you may want to branch out to a Kimber or Springfield (Para's are made in Canada) or even build your own.:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Agree with all before me. Dunno how big that certificate is; that'll be the determining factor. If its' blank, go for an Ed Brown:D .

My best advice would be to go to as many rental ranges as necessary to rent as many different models as you can try. Even a trip that constitutes a days' drive roundtrip in gasoline will save you a bundle if you choose poorly because of lack of exposure to other models, and end up selling for something else.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
My advice is to pick up a Springfield armory 1911 milspec.... Again depending on the size of the certificate, if you have a large amount pick up the Springfield TRP...

One of the Oldest manufactuers in the United States *1830s or 40s*. Life time warranty, and best customer service in the land... IMHO..

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
NaturalSelector said:
One of the Oldest manufactuers in the United States *1830s or 40s*.
No. The current Springfield Armory only shares the name of the original. The company itself is only a couple of decades old. Your "history" is overblown by a factor of about 150 years. ;)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh well I stand corrected indeed..

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I never heard the slides and frames where made in Brzail...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Go to your local gun shop,pick up a Springfield,look under the dust cover or the grip panels or both,you'll most likely see made by IMBEL,Brazil. If you don't see it,chances are its one made here in the states.Last month when I went shopping for a Springfeild Loaded, ALL of the Springfeilds I seen were from Brazil.I passed on the Springfeilds.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I don't have too. I own three and none of them say that.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Sad but true...
Springfield uses the IMBEL shop in Brazil for their frames/slides. Some are assembled there and some are assembled in the US.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Ya I read that thread Kill, I think that is also sad... :(

guess I got lucky with my three being assembled here AZ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
My suggestion?
No matter what gun you buy, go kiss your wife, immediately - she sounds like a "keeper"

"Made in America" narrows your choice down as has already been stated. Sounds like a great guy and store though, ask questions, and borrow/rent and shoot everything in your price range, then enjoy!

Keep in mind that the top three or four individual maker forums all have their gripes, and they're just that, gripes. Remember to keep your perspective. One part breaking doesn't mean 1000 guns are all bad. There is no requirement that everyone checks in to say something positive when the gun is working 100% so that doesn't get represented well.

I would visit each and see what "possible" issues are there, and what your willing to accept in a new gun. I think you can find great guns from any of top makers all within around $200 or so of each other, but regretting your decision after spending your hard earned Franklins it will make that price difference FEEL like thousands!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
A gun shop that hands out free rentals and ammo and a wife that gives you gift certificates for guns!!! YOU LIVE IN HEAVEN!!!

Seriously, it would be easier to make recommendations if we had an idea of your budget. I have a Braziallian-made Springfield and it works fine. It had more sharp edges than a box of broken porcelain when I bought it, but the general fit and trigger pull were very good considering the price.

If your budget is in the $400 range, than a Springfield mil-spec is worthy of consideration. Kimbers Customs are more expensive, but they are finished much nicer and tighter. Colts are very nice too, but the price reflects it. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Semi-customs like Les Baers, Ed Browns, Wilsons, Rock Rivers, etc... are all great pistols, but a beginner would be better off starting with a good basic gun and spending the extra money on ammunition and an NRA pistol-safety course.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
All true...but if I had the OK to go right to an Ed Brown, I sure would've saved alot of cash "working my way up"! ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
AZ Husker said:
All true...but if I had the OK to go right to an Ed Brown, I sure would've saved alot of cash "working my way up"! ;)
LIFE is a learning experience!! I enjoyed "working my way up" and found some great inexpensive 1911s while I was doing it. Including quite a few Springfields.;) I can't say I disagree with others that a Colt 1991A1 is a good place to start for a pure USA play.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Colt has improved their quality greatly over the past few years. I would recommend the new Colt 70 series. I have heard a lot of good things about it and it is next on my personal buy list.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts