1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to buy my first 1911. It'll be used mainly for steel target popping, and I want to get into IPSC and IDPA stuff, but want something reliable enough for defense, but that isn't the top priority because I have my trusty H&K USP for that.

I don't want to spend $2000+ on a race gun becuase I like the idea of shooting an out-of-the-box gun. I have an H&K USP and love it but is difficult to shoot action matches with.

I'm trying to decide between a basic Springfield loaded full-size and a Kimber custom. Both are around $800. Should I consider anything else? I don't want to overwhelm myself with TOO many whistles and bells but I want something that would be adequate for what I want to do.

So cutting to the chase, what's the difference (besides personal preference which I really don't have because of NO 1911 exposure whatsoever) between a Kimber and a Springfield? Please no Kimber sucks or Springfield sucks, I really need good feedback (and I've seen lots of it lurking here) before I put down $900 because I don't want to have to buy another gun.

Right now I'm leaning towards the springfield because the loaded looks like it has more stuff for the same price as a Kimber.

------------------

·
Registered
731 Posts
That price seems a bit high. I paid $620 for my full size, stainless steel Loaded in February. You may want to shop around a bit.

When I was looking, it came down to Kimber or Springfield. I chose the Springfield for a number of reasons.

With Springfield, you can get all of the same "options" on the gun and pay about $100 less.

Springfield uses fewer MIM parts than Kimber--yeah, I know this isn't a huge issue, but if I can get a higher quality gun for less money, I'm all over it.

It may be just me, but Kimbers have never really felt that solid in my estimation. They feel too delicate for a gun that should be able to take some abuse. As a side not, a buddy of mine just got back from Thunder Ranch--one of the students was having problems with his Kimber, and an instructor commented that Kimbers haven't done to well at Thunder Ranch. Granted, it's an off the cuff comment, but that guy has probably seen more guns this year, than I will in the next decade.

In the end, Kimber and Springfield are both good guns. It's just that the Springfield is a good bit better.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have both an SA milspec and Classic Custom. Both are reliable and good shooters with the edge going to my Kimber. However, mine is an Oregon gun one of the first 2000 pistols. Why I mention that is because I have been hearing about Kimber's quality dipping a bit the past couple of years. My friend just bought a Kimber Custom and I some the tightest groups I have every shot with his, as far as accuracy it is A-1. From my experience, for pure shooting and as an IDPA gun I would give a slight edge to Kimber. However, for the money, my Mil-Spec that I picked up last November for $449.00 is the best value in 1911's I have ever seen. No lie, it is fit tighter than most Kimbers I have handled. No budge on the barrel hood, no play in slide-to-frame. Sure this will loosen up with time, but I am very impressed with the fit and performance of the Mil-Spec and the fact that it is under $500. I guees after all this rambling, I would say that you are safe with either and you should go with what feels/fits the best for YOU. Best of luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I faced the same decision a few months ago. I bought the Springfield (Stainless Loaded for $589), and I am very pleased with it. I picked the Springfield over the Kimber because I preferred the grip and because it has a lifetime warranty.

[This message has been edited by Cawdor (edited 07-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for all your input...I'll think on it some more...right now I'm leaning towards the Springfield stainless. As I mentioned the prices $820 or so, these are MSRP from the websites, most places sell for less (I wasn't paying attention to how much they cost becuase I was in the market for a bolt-action at the time, a few weeks ago).

I'll keep y'all posted on how I'm doing on it...keep the comments coming.

jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just yesturday I saw the TRP with the Kote finish for $1,200 at a shop that typically has good prices. It seems to me that 800 would be a major steal. I will tell you, my mil spec is put together better than the TRP I handled....mabe that was just luck. The TRP was nice though. I just don't prefer Novak sights and I like 30lpi better than 20lpi on the front strap.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by TSH:
The TRP was nice though. I just don't prefer Novak sights and I like 30lpi better than 20lpi on the front strap.
What the heck is a lpi? Let me know! Thanks.

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
141 Posts
lpi: Lines Per Inch. 20 has less than 30 lines per inch, therefore it can be too rough and uncomforable for some shooters. See the Kimber CDP's for an example of 30 lpi on the front strap.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
After these slide problems on the above post, I'm only shooting my Kimber till I have my Springfield checked out.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is an article in Gun Test last June 1999 that compares springfield loaded with Kimber classic custom and they picked the springfield over Kimber. Hope this helps.

jag

·
Registered
15 Posts
Skunkabilly, I'ts only available in print i think. I have a copy and i can fax you a copy of the article. Pls e mail me your fax no. at [email protected] The article compares the fullsize 1911's namely Springfield, colt and kimber. They even included Glock 21.

Jag

1 - 14 of 14 Posts