1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally saved up enough cash to pay out for my first .45, and from the research I did RIA was the 1911 for me.
I picked it because it already had a couple things I wanted to fit onto a 1911 anyways (FLGR, beavertail, hammer, non-GI sights) and I wouldn't feel to bad tinkering with it later on down the line.
First time at the gun show today and picked this one up for $450 out the door with a military discount

And yes, I already started doing stuff to it. Beveled the grips and sanded a thumb trough, and threw on some Krylon for now.

Future plans are (later on) better sights, checker the front strap and high-grip it, bevel or ad-on magwell, high-grip beavertail, adj trigger, front slide serrations, and a new finish. ... whew :)
Here it is with my other toy, Savage .308

And yes, I know the hammer is cocked and the safety isn't on... big nono.

Hope to become a good member of the forum
-Swede

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome!
Those are some nice looking toys you have there! :)
Do RIA's have forged or cast frame/slides? Someone offered me a GI 5" model to me today for $325... seems like a steal!
Also, I know this is off topic, I was just curious... I notice on your Savage that you have a Simmons scope, and from the red ring at the base of the elevation knob, you have a Master Series scope, yes? The reason I ask, is because last week I bought a Simmons Aetec Master Series 4-14x44 with side focus, ill. ret., and 3" sunshade. I mounted it on my Winchester M70 Laredo .300 Win. Mag. and zeroed it, and then fired a box of ultra-high powered 180 gr. ammo to see if extreme recoil could knock this thing off of it's 250 yd. zero. It didnt. I just wanted to know if you are as happy with yours as I am mine? :rock:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice group Joe D. It does certainly put some of the more expensive 1911s to shame.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
It really surprised me. I was not expecting this degree of accuracy from a $400 gun. Logic says it should not shoot that well. I will admit I cheated a little and installed a match bushing. The stock internal parts were good enough to yield a 2 1/2 lb. trigger with a little tuning.
I shot it again today. Same results - where the front sight is that's where the bullet goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts