1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I have my first 1911 waiting for me at my FFL. Just gotta wait for NYS to put it on my permit this week.

What do I need to pick up for maintenance and cleaning?

Ear Protection= A military set, circa early 1990's

Eye Protection= Gotta pick some up.

Holster=Looking, probably a Rosen 5JR Express from Terry Peters at PT Partners if he has one in stock.

Lube= (12) 16oz bottles of Militec-1 that the contractor gave to my father when he was trying to get a contract with the Navy. Those should be good for general lube and oil right? Do I need anything else?

Cleaning Kit= Gonna get a standard kit when I pick up the pistol next week.

Do I need any other patches, lube, tools, etc?

Would someone list everything that I would need to top notch maintain a stainless steel 1911?

I know I could do a search, but since I don't know what I need, how do I find all of it. I like to be complete.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by SBLars (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
It looks like you should be all set. Add lots of cleaning patches, perhaps some spray cleaners and a good screw driver set.

OOOPS, Jerry Kuhnhausen's books on the 1911 would help a lot. http://www.gunbooks

Keep these two urls close too:
http://www.m1911.org

and
http://www.sightm1911.com

they have disassembly instructions.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey SBLars, I picked up one of those caliber specific "pointed jags" to attach to my standard cleaning rod. Mine's made of brass. You cover it with a couple patches and PUSH it thru the barrel. Take a look at the "barrel care" thread below. Thanks to ByronF for reminding me of these babies, I like how they work!! Much more effective than the standard 'eyelet' attachment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys, but how about posting a list of what I should get for complete maintenance?

Lets just say I have nothing right now, what would I need to get.

Thanks

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by SBLars:
Thanks for the help guys, but how about posting a list of what I should get for complete maintenance?

Lets just say I have nothing right now, what would I need to get.

Thanks

OK, I'll try, but maintenance accessories are kinda like guns - you can never have enough - and you'll end up with far more brands than you'll likely ever use.

silicone empregnated cleaning cloth for quick wipe downs; patches; pistol-length cleaning rod (I like Dewey's with the ball bearing handle pivot); a brass jag for the other end of the rod; a brass bristle brush, also for the rod; Hoppes #9 nitro solvent for powder residue and general degreasing; Hoppes Benchrest Copper solvent if you shoot jacketed, Shooter's Choice Lead solvent if you shoot lead (duh!); aerosol degreaser (or brake cleaner); a good synthetic (moly) based grease for slide rails, good sythetic based oil for all other metal to metal contact areas ( I like Wilson's Ultima Lube and Tetra Gun L); 1/8" and 1/16" brass punches for removing pins; and LOTS of elbow grease - all the magic lubes and sprays and brushes in the world won't do squat without it.

Of course these are my own personal preferences. Please, no flames - this is what works for me. Everyone has their own "pet" wonder-cleaners and tools.

The beauty of this whole thing is that you'll soon find your own preferences for what YOU think works best with your gun and maintenance schedule. Like I said, you'll be surprised at how quickly your workbench will fill up with all this crap. Every new product that comes out, you will just HAVE TO try.

Good luck, and post any specific cleaning related inquiries - you'll get a wealth of tried and true responses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thank a bore snake is a must for any good barrel cleaning. It's kind of like a climbing rope with brass scubbers. works like a charm!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here are some items that I would add:

1) A brass (tooth)brush - Needed for general scrubbing, especially around the extractor/breechface area.

2) A brass scraper tool - it has what looks like a small slotted screwdriver tip one one end and a small broom brush on the other end - nice for removing carbon build-up around the breechface.

3) A Kleen Bore Magazine Cleaning Brush - Makes it very quick to clean the magazine without removing the follower (You will still have to remove the follower once in a while for a complete cleaning).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts