1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the time to set up another tool head to load 38 super. A little trial and error,(check out my trumpet)...;)
I loaded 20 function test rounds with 4.7 gr of TG, 125 gr FMJ (.355) OAL-1.270 and crimp at .382.
primers are CCI SP..
They all functioned great without any malfunctions, but I think I/m changing powder to N320 or CFE pistol. They felt like 9mm not 38 super.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Take a look at HS-6 and Accurate #7. They should get you up into real super velocities. I used HS-6 for USPSA major loads. Vihtavouri N105 will get you over 1400 FPS with 125 grain bullets.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion Alland. The range was 4.4-5.0 of TG and I loaded 4.7gr. It felt as if the charge could easily go to their published max Or a shade under to 4.9gr. I’ve shot enough 38 super thru my pistol to know this test batch was pretty light.

·
Registered
23,541 Posts
For a business round for .38 Super auto. I am pretty happy with a load that I have been shooting for quite a while. This being a 147 grain Hornady XTP, bullet # 35580. On top of 7+ grains of Blue dot. I do not currently own a chronograph so I can not tell you what kind of velocity I am running. But the results are accurate as well as pretty impressive in wet newspaper media. I have always had pretty good luck with heavy for caliber bullets. Just sayin.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just curious Plantar, have you received your 9mm dies yet? Looks like you have a couple nice options to test in 38 super. :D have fun with it

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I second the recommendation for AA#7. It’s a Super all around powder for the Super!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I’m another BIG fan of AA7 for my 38 Super. Kick A$$ powder! The only draw back with AA7, you’ll only get about half the number of reloads as you would with Titegroup per pound of powder. This is based on the volume of powder required with AA7. Think quality over quantity. Enjoy the journey!

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I shot USPSA with hot .38 super loads for many years. When shooting "hot" .38 super loads, it is best to have a barrel that offers good case support, and more often than not, a ramped barrel offers better case support.

Attached is some old but useful load data for the .38 super.....I would still work up a load rather than just take the data as is.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the powder recommendations Gents. I’ll need to take a shopping list to my local source and see if he has any. Most of the powders are out of stock right now At the online places.
My pistol is a Guncrafter NN CCO 4.25” barrel which is ramped. Its built like a tank. I have run some +P thru it without any issues. I’m not looking for the moon, but should be better than what I shot yesterday.

JLS1911, Still waiting on my 9mm dies from Dillon...:rolleyes::(:oops:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take a look at HS-6 and Accurate #7. They should get you up into real super velocities. I used HS-6 for USPSA major loads. Vihtavouri N105 will get you over 1400 FPS with 125 grain bullets.
[/QUOT
I use Titegroup for target loads with good result 5.2gr under a 115gr Hap bullet averaged 1250 fps
AA#7 is great for the Super 124gr Hornady XTP over 9.8gr of AA#7 yielded 1310fps average.
10.1gr. of Vihtavouri N105 under the same bullet gave me 1400fps.and was very accurate.
These results were with a Dan Wesson PM-38. All loads were carefully worked up to.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I really like N105 for 38 Super. Have used Accurate #7 as well. Tried a bunch of others, but these two are the two that rose to the top of my list. N105 is first choice for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any opinions on which to try next between CFE pistol or V N320?
N320 is great for soft shooting 130PF loads, CFE Pistol is a step up, about 10-15% faster, subjectively I think it produces excessive recoil and is dirtier.

Saw a couple people mention N105, it's is a slow burning powder, very safe, great for IPSC major loads in compensated guns, but produces a ridiculous fireball in my non-compensated 5" .38 supers so probably not practical in a 4 1/4" barrel.

You can probably get by with less of a flare on your case mouth.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Plantar5-

I'm assuming you have these articles saved.... if not, you should. Great references for 38 Super reloaders. The shooting times piece is full of great info and load data- the ISPC piece has a lot of high end max data- good references, documentation and footnotes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For a business round for .38 Super auto. I am pretty happy with a load that I have been shooting for quite a while. This being a 147 grain Hornady XTP, bullet # 35580. On top of 7+ grains of Blue dot. I do not currently own a chronograph so I can not tell you what kind of velocity I am running. But the results are accurate as well as pretty impressive in wet newspaper media. I have always had pretty good luck with heavy for caliber bullets. Just sayin.
I'm just now starting to reload for 38. Almost have all the components to do so. I have 1000 147gr bullets and im hoping I can get to 1100-1200 fps. Any suggestions on what powder can get me there?
Cameron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts