1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got an AR-15. I only plan on using iron sights and I stumbled across dissipator style AR's. I like the look of them too with the rifle length hand guard and longer sight radius. Bought a fully assembled "mock dissipator" upper (with the FN 16" chrome lined barrel), fully assembled lower, and carry handle - all "blemished". Added a bold carrier group and charging handle. Total came out to $536 shipped - all from PSA. Cleaned it, oiled it up, slapped it together, and put 200 rounds through it with no issues.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Pretty sweet. Looks like my Colt HBAR without the fixed stock. Good grab, OP.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't plan on treating this rifle gently. After watching many videos abusing cheapo AR's like below, I am really curios how much abuse my cheap build can take lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvkj0uFyyt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw

And with the rifle length hand guard, I was able to slap on this old school surplus triangular hand guard. After checking it out with this hand guard, I had to jump online and order some 20 rd mags for 'Nam look lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sweet. Looks like my Colt HBAR without the fixed stock. Good grab, OP.
Thanks man! Yeah I never heard of a dissipator until about a week ago. Mine is really a mock dissipator. Here are some good illustrations on the sight radius differences:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Made myself an A2 Dissipator years ago.

It's my first centerfire rifle, only AR-15 rifle, and still a favorite.
20141229_155944 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

It's certainly not the most popular configuration, but not every rifle needs rails everywhere or a thin aluminum free float tube that heats up quickly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made myself an A2 Dissipator years ago.

It's my first centerfire rifle, only AR-15 rifle, and still a favorite.
20141229_155944 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

It's certainly not the most popular configuration, but not every rifle needs rails everywhere or a thin aluminum free float tube that heats up quickly.
Very cool. I have that Fab Defense buttstock on another setup. How do like that Magpul hand guard? I was thinking of picking one up just to try out. Looks like it would feel good in the hand.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Yeah, those PSA dissipator uppers really suck. :D

Mine on a Windham lower. I tried going optic on it, but it just seems to call out for the carry handle.

Love the old school handguards on yours. I started in the Army with the A1 and we tranitioned to the A2. At some point I would like to do a mock dissy with A1 stock and handguards. Someday...

Nice Dissy. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know I'm not the only one on here who likes them.

·
Premium Member
15,357 Posts
Romm; does yours have the full 12" rifle gas system or is it a true dissipator with a mid-length gas and lo-profile gas block under the hand guard?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I knew Amos would post in this thread. Nice Dissipators guys!
Lol. Any chance to show off my girl. I've had my fair share of ARs over the years, but this is one of my favorites. River, after River Tam in Serenity and River Song in Dr. Who, is quickly reaching the same status as Molly, my Puma 92 Trapper .357 mag as a last gun to go if it comes to it.

I'm finding it hard to look at AR carbines anymore with their skimpy handguards and short gas systems. Shameless hussies. Guess I'm becoming a prude in my old age. :eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Romm; does yours have the full 12" rifle gas system or is it a true dissipator with a mid-length gas and lo-profile gas block under the hand guard?
Actually I think you have it backwards. A true 'Nam era dissipator (not the Bushmaster civilian copy) has a full length rifle gas system with the gas block at the front sight base, the barrel is shortened, and the gas port is enlarged. A mock dissipator (as I have) has a carbine or mid length gas system that is low profile, fitting under the hand guard, and a front sight dummy or mock gas block under the front sight.

Here is the link to the dissipator upper I bought. In the description they even refer to it as a mock dissipator.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...issipator-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

From the description:
"Once upon a time, a "dissipator" AR was created by taking a 20" rifle-length gas system upper and cutting the barrel down to 16". This allowed the shooter to keep the long sight radius of a rifle for accuracy, but keep the carbine length barrel for maneuverability. The proximity of the gas port to the muzzle, however, played havoc with timing and made reliability a hit or miss proposition. Advances in AR technology have produced reliable carbine and mid-length gas systems, that can be hidden using low-profile gas blocks. This allows for a front sight base to be pinned in the rifle position for the longer sight radius without the worry of the unorthodox gas port location affecting operation. We use the term "mock" to differentiate our dissipator from a cut-down rifle length version. Our Premium Mid-length mock dissipator uses a Chrome Moly Vanadium steel barrel that is chrome-lined for durability."

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, those PSA dissipator uppers really suck. :D

Mine on a Windham lower. I tried going optic on it, but it just seems to call out for the carry handle.

Love the old school handguards on yours. I started in the Army with the A1 and we tranitioned to the A2. At some point I would like to do a mock dissy with A1 stock and handguards. Someday...

Nice Dissy. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know I'm not the only one on here who likes them.
Awesome rig there! How are you liking the Magpul hand guard? I'm thinking of getting one to try out.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Awesome rig there! How are you liking the Magpul hand guard? I'm thinking of getting one to try out.
Thanks.

I like the Mapul guards quite a bit. They have the heat shield built in and keep things cool when shooting. The Colt SP6920 I had was a Magpul edition. At the time I also had a custom mid-length that had a Todd Jarrett aluminum free float tube on it. The fancy gun's tube got warm fairly quickly. The Magpul hand guards on the Colt kept things cool under the hand quite well.

The Magpul guard are comfortable and are fairly easy to add rails too. The rails are a mother to take back off if you tend to snug things the way I do. With the full length guards it's easy to get a comfortable grip. I primarily use the vertical foregrip as a hand stop and rarely as a VFG. Not to mention the Magpuls are a fairly inexpensive way to snazz up an upper.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good then, I just ordered the old version from Magpul for $25 shipped. They are on closeout on their website.

·
Premium Member
15,357 Posts
Okay, I actually did not know about the original or 'true' dissipator. I only knew about the Bushmaster version which apparently is the preferred style for reliable function. Thanks for the info. I never really understood this variant but now I get it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'd like to have the barrel and sight tower only for a dissipator build. I have the rest of the parts already. I don't need extra with the PSA upper.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I actually did not know about the original or 'true' dissipator. I only knew about the Bushmaster version which apparently is the preferred style for reliable function. Thanks for the info. I never really understood this variant but now I get it.

Yeah check out Wags' thread. He has a real one. There was no term for it until Bushmaster coined the phrase "dissipator". It was just a carbine length M-16 called the Colt Model 605. They were not reliable until they figured out to drill out the gas port I believe.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=498496

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice job ROMM. I appreciate the reference also. Hopefully I can get out by next week and throw some rounds down range and post the results.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The Magpul handguards are solid, well shaped, and look good. They don't rattle or twist like the A2 style. They're also more stable off a rest with the flat bottom.

I may do a PRI free float handguard at some point, but I like the sleeper look. It's free floated underneath.

Mine is a rifle length gas system and required port enlargement and a lighter action spring for proper function with all ammo, then a heavier buffer to shoot smoothly again. That was after the collapsible stock/carbine buffer. With the rifle buffer it worked great with any NATO spec ammo. I had never tested that with cheap ammo. These days TulAmmo and Wolf steel cased is my reliability baseline ammo.

They say winter climates and low pressure ammo can trip up the rifle length Dissies and that's probably true without some tuning.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Magpul handguards are solid, well shaped, and look good. They don't rattle or twist like the A2 style. They're also more stable off a rest with the flat bottom.

I may do a PRI free float handguard at some point, but I like the sleeper look. It's free floated underneath.

Mine is a rifle length gas system and required port enlargement and a lighter action spring for proper function with all ammo, then a heavier buffer to shoot smoothly again. That was after the collapsible stock/carbine buffer. With the rifle buffer it worked great with any NATO spec ammo. I had never tested that with cheap ammo. These days TulAmmo and Wolf steel cased is my reliability baseline ammo.

They say winter climates and low pressure ammo can trip up the rifle length Dissies and that's probably true without some tuning.
Wow I didn't know yours was a real dissipator too! Really cool stuff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts