1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this works. This is a Caspian Officer's ACP frame -w- a Commander slide built to customer's specs.

Barrel & bushing - Barstow
Safetys - Wilson
M/S housing - Brown
Hammer - Caspian
Sights - MMC
Grips - Navidrex
Front strap checkering - factory Caspian

This gun will be finished in black Bear Coat.
John

·
Super Moderator
13,603 Posts
John,
Very nice ! The instructions worked !

Hope I get to fondle it soon. The owner will be in town tomorrow, hint, hint.

RT

------------------
"If she can cook chicken, she suits me to a T."
Ray Charles

[This message has been edited by Ricky T (edited 04-07-2001).]

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bufford.
The customer constantly carries concealed in a pretty warm & humid environment. He has had other stainless guns rust in the past. I built a full size Springfield in stainless a couple of years ago for him and had it Black-T'd to provide a non-porous finish that would keep his perspiration from getting to the base metal. After a year of carry, the gun had no rust anywhere, with just a little bit of finish wear around the muzzle end of the slide. He believes that an occasional refinishing job is just part of the cost of carrying a weapon. We decided to try Rocky Mountain Arms' Bear Coat on this one, to see if it wore any better.
See MetalSmith's most excellent post about why your stainless gun will rust. I believe in putting a surface finish over stainless. I just tore down my S&W M-625 to do a little work to it & found very tiny rust "freckles" under the grips. This gun has been carried and handled very little. My stainless Colt 1991 IDPA gun has the same thing in little nooks & crannies (why is it called a cranny?) like where the grip safety meets the frame radius.

RickyT - Hope to see you guys tomorrow. Fondling is something you can discuss with the owner

Thanks for the kind comments!
John

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, Paten - you're right I didn't mention that it was all stainless. Just goes to show that if I look hard enough at the forest, I don't see the trees anymore

John

·
Registered
191 Posts
VERY nice PG... but you might want to clean the smudges off the camera lens.

What brand and model beavertail is that, and how much reshaping was done? It's very close to what I've been looking for.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi John, nice looking pistol, keep up the good work. MetalSmith

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bufford5,
Sorry, I haven't done a website yet. I pistolsmith in addition to working a 50 hour per week "day job". It took 90 days to build the gun in the picture, but most of that time was spent getting all of the parts together. That time frame would vary a little depending on my current work load.

ParaDox,
That is a Wilson 298 grip safety. It was not radically re-shaped, although a lot of time was spent trying to get a seamless fit to the frame. I can't see any spots, myself. I think the poor quality is due to the age & low resolution of the camera that I used.

Thanks for the kind words!

Best Regards,
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts