1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mixed up my first ever batch of Ed's Red. I omitted the acetone in the main container but mixed a small amount in a small container for use as a shotgun barrel cleaner to get the plastic out. I have now stripped my 1911 and have it soaking in an ammo can. I filled the can to give me about a 2" level of Ed's Red.

I included the lanolin in my batch and am very pleased with what I ended up with. This is my first attempt at a soak and my next step is to make or find a small wire basket for the smaller parts. My liquid level is low enough that I can fish parts out by hand right now. The rest of my batch is stored in an old gasoline container.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm doing the same (different formulation)--it's definitely the way to go. (i.e., immersion).
I plan to end up with three cans: 1) the Ed's Red cleaner/soak, 2) mineral oil "rinse," and 3) mineral oil/ lubricant "dip." smity

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Wal-Mart sells a small stainless steel (I think) basket that works just fine on an ammo can. I don't know the exact cost but my wife said it was about $3 in the kitchen section with the pots and pans. It has a lip that hangs on the side of the ammo can and allows the parts to drain back into the can.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This works great. I made my hardware cloth tray and disassembled my father's 1911 circa 1943 and put everything [minus grips] in the tray for an overnight soak. This gun has probably not been stripped down for quite some time. I could tell when I took the extractor out. Lots of gunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
just curious if you are using a regular green painted metal ammo can and if the paint is at risk of being stripped from the inside of the can?

i use ed's red in a parts bin washer/container, but the idea of the 2" level in a smaller can that is resealable (for storage indoors) sounds like a good idea.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I fill my cans up to 1-inch from the top. Paint's still there, last I looked. Think I'll look again. smity

1 - 6 of 6 Posts