1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I did it. I am waiting on my first Colt 1911.

Was looking for a Gold Cup but the seller was out.

So I settled for the XSE Govt Enhanced Competition. Since they had a few in inventory I asked the dealer to go over them and pick the best one.

Here is a pic. What do you all know about this model?

Does it have the plastic MHS?

·
Premium Member
11,651 Posts
Well, heck! I love Army EOD. Especially when they save me from getting my butt blown up. And believe me, we used you guys a lot. Seems I was finding at least one cache per day, sometimes more. :biglaugh: ................. But that ain't what you wanted to hear. If it has a plastic housing, lots of choices to replace it. Just stay away from Masen products. Nice piece. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, heck! I love Army EOD. Especially when they save me from getting my butt blown up. And believe me, we used you guys a lot. Seems I was finding at least one cache per day, sometimes more. :biglaugh: ................. But that ain't what you wanted to hear. If it has a plastic housing, lots of choices to replace it. Just stay away from Masen products. Nice piece. Enjoy.
Thanks, Bill. Our guys in Theater earn their pay.

Thanks for the advice on Masen. I always was wary of them.

I am a Wilson and Brown kind of guy. :rock:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I recognize the pic from Bud's, is that where you got it? Is that a pic of your actual gun or have you not received it yet? The review on Bud's dated 11/1/07 says the gun is the newer model with Novak style sights, not like the one pictured on the website; which one did you get? Well it'll all be moot when you post pics of your gun, I can't wait; I've been thinking of getting one of these because I have one in stainless and I love it, but I'd like to know which gun they're actually selling.

Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct that is from Buds. I do not know which sights it has because I don't have it yet.

But the Colt web sight also shows Novak sights. Really does not matter to me. As long as Gurney really did pick the best one of the lot and it is a good one.

It will be my first and only blued 1911.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buds Guns and Colts

Holy Cow! Earlier today Buds had a few Colts on the site....almost totally sold out of Colt 1911s just now.

Must have been this thread that did it.

Dang am I glad I have one coming. Glad I snagged it.

:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I just purchased one of those a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately due to freezing weather and snow up here in the north, haven't been able to shoot yet.

This XSE does have a plastic/nylon mainspring housing. Personally I am one of the few that actually prefers the plastic ones. Cuts down a bit on weight and no danger of rust! I did change it out with an Ed Brown MSH but just because I wanted an arched one, they fit my hand better. I actually looked for the nylon type first but they were out so went with the steel. Only other thing I did was get rid of the full length guide rod. Never liked them. I put in an Ed Brown GI plug and rod setup.

Although I haven't shot it my only minor criticism is that I expected the flats to be more polished than they are. My blued Gold Cup Trophy definitely has a higher polish to it. Hopefully I get to take it out soon.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the good info. Just so happens I have a blued Wilson Combat checkered flat MSH.

Which sights do you have?

·
Registered
209 Posts
To the "Sides not so Shiny"

Mine were not either. Took Flitz to sides, black mung came off then shine shine shine! Hopes this helps?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Looks like they really picked a good one !! Oops, forgot that's Bud's stock pick of the gun. :biglaugh:

Anyhoo, congrats. I am sure you will love the gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts