1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today to put some rounds though my new SR1911 CMD lightweight. Had a great time, had 4 FTE's in the first 100 rounds but smooth sailing after that. I shot a total of 260 rds today. The first 160 was factory RN ammo, but I had mistakingly brought 100 rounds of remington HP ammo. I thought I'm here and gonna shoot it. My last FtE was at about rd 70. All the HP ran great. Couldn't be happier until I got home. What a mess. I have owned an cleaned multiple 1911s but I have never had one so hard to get clean specifically the breech face, and area around the extractor. Does anyone any advice for getting this clean easier?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hoppes #9 and an old toothbrush.
But yeah, remove the extractor too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you shot it without cleaning it and oiling it....no wonder you had a few malfunctions

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Check out Fireclean.
I learned about it about 1.5 yrs ago and even with the rave reviews I thought I was buying 'snake oil'. It turned out the reviews were right on. If you try it - follow the directions.

I also recommend using clean ammo, like Soeer Lawman. It's better for your guns and certainly for your lungs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did clean and lube it correctly before I took it to the range. I didn't have what I would consider problems. My main question was that there was no problem cleaning it the first time before it was shot, but I had a lot of build up on the breech face after shooting. Just kinda giving a report of my trip and asking for suggestions for the excess build up from the day at the range.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
It is impossible not to get staining and residue buildup on the breech face if you shoot at all. Both old and newer products are suggested above, they all work with a little elbow grease. I don't worry about sparkle and shine, just clean.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All great suggestions, and they all will work. My preference is a combo - Hoppes, toothbrush, and remove/clean the extractor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts