1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been 40+ years in the gun game and got my first kimber,last week years ago they were way to much $$$$$. Was one of those colt guys,that said things like,ID RATHER THOW A COLT THAN SHOOT A KIMBER, i will take it back now! Picked up a Pro carry ii 4" two tone.eats up all my reloads hit right were you point.some time on open slide and full mag with pull back release it hang up about half way in chamber,easy fix polished extrator and fix it.dont mind little thing like that.its fine a fine gun and great investment. Going to be my carry for a while

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Kimbers. They're are better 1911's than comparable Colts, right out of the box. Colts that I have had over the years were always unfinished 1911's. You had to have the chamber's throated and the ramps polished to get them to reliably feed hollowpoint ammunition. Kimbers had issues with FTF in their older models that had the old, external extractors. They replaced all of them with internal extractors way back in the late 90's and they're good to go.

However, there are two issues with Kimbers. 1st, the blue models will rust, even if they're not exposed to moisture. I've had much better luck with their stainless steel models. You leave a blue one in the safe and it will rust just sitting there. 2nd, their supplied magazines are garbage. I've always thrown them away and replaced them with Wilson Combat magazines.

Kimbers are fully functional guns. But, I've moved up the food chain in the 1911 ladder to Dan Wessons and a Night Hawk Custom. These 1911's are almost works of art compared to Kimbers, Colts, Springfield, Sig, and other sub $1,500 1911 pistols. Check out the Dan Wessons, NHC's, and Wilson Combats and you will want one. But, that's a subjective thing. I used to be very satisfied with the Kimbers that I replaced my Colts with. Until I bought the NHC sight unseen off of Gunbroker and I was hooked and got rid of the Kimbers. I then checked out the DW's and was so satisfied that I bought one more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's nothing wrong with Kimbers. They're are better 1911's than comparable Colts, right out of the box. Colts that I have had over the years were always unfinished 1911's. You had to have the chamber's throated and the ramps polished to get them to reliably feed hollowpoint ammunition. Kimbers had issues with FTF in their older models that had the old, external extractors. They replaced all of them with internal extractors way back in the late 90's and they're good to go.

However, there are two issues with Kimbers. 1st, the blue models will rust, even if they're not exposed to moisture. I've had much better luck with their stainless steel models. You leave a blue one in the safe and it will rust just sitting there. 2nd, their supplied magazines are garbage. I've always thrown them away and replaced them with Wilson Combat magazines.

Kimbers are fully functional guns. But, I've moved up the food chain in the 1911 ladder to Dan Wessons and a Night Hawk Custom. These 1911's are almost works of art compared to Kimbers, Colts, Springfield, Sig, and other sub $1,500 1911 pistols. Check out the Dan Wessons, NHC's, and Wilson Combats and you will want one. But, that's a subjective thing. I used to be very satisfied with the Kimbers that I replaced my Colts with. Until I bought the NHC sight unseen off of Gunbroker and I was hooked and got rid of the Kimbers. I then checked out the DW's and was so satisfied that I bought one more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kimber was under $800 and my colts under$900 good side arms for the $$$$$,if they are reliable,and dependable don't see the need in all the extra $

·
Registered
19 Posts
I traded for a Kimber Crimson Carry II about twelve years ago and bought a Colt Gold Cup last week.

When I traded for the Kimber I was aware of reports of reliability problems but was open to the challenge. I must say that in twelve years of shooting the Kimber it has never failed in any way.

This last week I bought a brand new Colt Gold Cup. After shooting it and stripping it for cleaning I can tell you that it is NOT the Gold Cup of the 1970's. The slide wobbles, the barrel bushing wobbles and the grip safety wobbles. Other than that it shoots and shoots well. It's just not 'national match' quality like the pistols of the 70's.

I can also say that despite the shorter barrel I shoot the Kimber better than I do the Gold Cup. Not sure if it's the beaver tail grip safety or the general fit but the Kimber shoots instinctively while the Colt actually shoots like an old armory pistol.

I don't regret buying the Colt as I'm happy to have a Colt but when I go out to shoot seriously the Kimber will be on my side.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used to have a Kimber Custom II two tone 5" in 45acp. Bought it last year at a pre black friday sale. I thought it was an excellent pistol to be truthful. Cost was $550.00+tax. How could I go wrong? Shot better than I will ever be able to. Ate up everything I fed it. Sold it to a good friend not long ago for what I paid for it in order to help fund a DW Vigil. Sure it has MIM parts, plastic main spring housing and that Schwartz safety thing but I put almost 3000 rounds through it and not 1 malfunction of any kind. Congratulations Theriverrat(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to have a Kimber Custom II two tone 5" in 45acp. Bought it last year at a pre black friday sale. I thought it was an excellent pistol to be truthful. Cost was $550.00+tax. How could I go wrong? Shot better than I will ever be able to. Ate up everything I fed it. Sold it to a good friend not long ago for what I paid for it in order to help fund a DW Vigil. Sure it has MIM parts, plastic main spring housing and that Schwartz safety thing but I put almost 3000 rounds through it and not 1 malfunction of any kind. Congratulations Theriverrat(y)
You mention the plastic main spring housing. In fact, that's the only part I've replaced. It so turned me off that I bought a Wilson Combat housing to replace it. It required very minimal fitting to install. Never had a problem with the original though.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The kimber was under $800 and my colts under$900 good side arms for the $$$$$,if they are reliable,and dependable don't see the need in all the extra $
For over 28 years I used to think that way too. Then when I was getting ready to retire I decided to spend the extra money and buy a Night Hawk Custom or a Wilson Combat as a retirement present to myself. I found a NHC on Gunbroker for under $4,000 brand new and chambered in 10mm. I bought it. Once it arrived and I had it in my hands (before I even had a chance to shoot it) I could tell that it was worth it. You pull the slide and the slide moves super tight, but, buttery smooth on the rails. The match grade trigger is unbelievably short and smooth, and the release is like glass. These are high grade actions that put all the Colts and Kimbers that I have ever owned in my lifetime to shame. They are worth the $$'s.

I wish that I had looked into one of these higher end 1911's decades ago. I didn't know what I was missing all these years. When I finally got it to the range it didn't disappoint. It fed every 10mm that I ran through it reliably without any break in period. From the cheap, low power 10mm cartridges from Federal to the Underwood Ammo full power 10mm cartridges, all fed without a hiccup. And I also noticed that the accuracy was better than any other 1911 that I had ever shot in my lifetime.

Another thing, the included extras like the night sights (I have night sights on all of my EDC serious use pistols), match grade trigger, match grade barrel, light rail (another tactical option that I also want on all of my EDC pistols), and magwell make this 1911 one of the best with all of the options that I want on an EDC pistol. Like others who say "this pistol is more accurate than I am," I say that this one actually is. I know it is because my accuracy with this 1911 compared to every Colt and Kimber that I have ever owned has increased and I would say that a better shooter than me would be even more accurate with it. Because your EDC pistol is your life insurance policy meant to keep you and your loved ones alive in a self defense incident, I believe that it's best to get the best policy you can afford. Not settle for less, just because less is adequate enough to pay for funeral expenses.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You mention the plastic main spring housing. In fact, that's the only part I've replaced. It so turned me off that I bought a Wilson Combat housing to replace it. It required very minimal fitting to install. Never had a problem with the original though.
On the model I had you really couldn't even tell it was plastic unless you took it off. Even the checkering was right on.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I changed out the plastic MSH on all three of my Kimbers as well. I don't mind at all having nylon 66 frames on most of my HKs, my Glocks, Nano or a few other guns but my 1911s will not have an MSH, shock buff or other nylon on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Is this one of the offenders?? As fas as rusting? The top model, the Pro Carry II in
two-tone. Will the blued slide rust? Thank You!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this one of the offenders?? As fas as rusting? The top model, the Pro Carry II in
two-tone. Will the blued slide rust? Thank You!
View attachment 597046
That's the one I got,been carrying around appendix style no holster for a few days no rust so far.that ok a got older sig p220 that will get a little, im not becoming a big kimber fan boy over my colts but for the $ its a good readable accurate 1911 , dout have any regrets here, it even feels a little lighter than the xecolt commander I had.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts