1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started handloading, and could use some 45 ACP load suggestions based on the components I have to use. I'm using a combination of Hodgdon Titegroup powder, Starline brass, CCI 300 primers, and Rainier Ballistics 200 GR. plated round-nose bullets. The main problem I'm having is finding data on the Rainier bullet. One suggested Hodgdon load with a 200 Gr. Speer JHP bullet is 5.2 Gr. of Titegroup and a COL of 1.155. Would I be safe in reducing this by 10% to 4.7 Gr. of powder and starting at that level with the Rainier bullets ? What would be another more popular bullet that I could use for comparison purposes ? Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The .45 is not very sensitive to variations in bullet type, as long as bullet weight is the same. Your approach should be fine.

Plated bullets would normally be expected to generate slightly less pressure than jacketed, and slightly more than lead, all other things being equal.

The round nose bullet may want a slightly longer overall cartridge length than a jhp to function properly.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
4.7 grains of TiteGroup should be a good place to start. I like 5.3 grains under a 185 grain JHP (Nosler's is my personal favorite).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I've gone ahead and loaded 4.7 grains. Tested 14 ruonds yesterday and worked well. Nice light recoil, and no FTF's. I loaded 100 rounds this a.m. and am heading to the range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts