1911Forum banner
341 - 360 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My Mark lll still has the cutout and it was manufactured in 2010. I wonder why Remsport continues to make Hi power barrels with the nub?
I guess some members are trying to see if the regents are indeed accurate clones - by swapping parts. I have never felt the urge to do so, & generally leave things alone unless in need of attention.
Since the nub is not necessary it would be easier to make a barrel without it. My best guess is that since the MAJORITY of Hi Powers ever made had the nub - that it was continued, since it is not hard to remove - but hard to add.
Kind of odd since they went ahead & straightened out the feed ramps. So far as I know there are no Remsport barrels with old style humped feed ramps.
Perhaps the forum member from Remsport can best answer the question.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I removed the mag safety from the BR9 tonight and admit it was just a bit easier to remove than the one from the BR9SS. I did put a small scratch on the right side of the frame (dammit). Since i removed some of the finish from the trigger pin I decided to replace it with a new Browning manufactured pin. The new pin was too small so I put the old one back in. I know these pins work in the FEG and the Arcus. The good part is that the trigger pull was reduced to about 4.5 lbs.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Broken Extractor

Well, after 79 rounds at the range today (a total of 319 rounds down the pipe), the extractor on the BR9SS broke while shooting my reloads (the hook broke off). The reloads themselves are a bit on the warm side, but still well below the max (115gr Ranier plated round nose over 6.2gr of Power Pistol @1242 fps).

So, I guess that TNorris is not the only one to experience this at a round count well below 500.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to get a new on for a couple of weeks (I have to wait until the boss gives me my “allowance” next month) so I guess I have a little time to ask a couple of questions.

First, is it something that I can do myself, or should I have somebody do it for me (It looks like the Sear Lever needs to be removed before the extractor can be taken out)? Does it require fitting, or should it be a “drop in” part?

Second, who makes a good one? I see them listed at several different places, from as low as $12.50 up to $35.00. Some of them seem to have a very thin hook for the extractor while other seem to have a rather substantial hook (of course, this is based on pictures I see on the Internet so it might just be the pictures and not the extractors themselves). The “heaviness” of the hook does not seem to be related to the price in any way.

I think I will avoid calling LKCI about a replacement part because I am not the only one to experience this and I figure that since it is an inexpensive enough part, I might as well get something that I know is a good part and not one that I am afraid is going to fail me in another 3-400 rounds again.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thanks for this update, Black. It is an important additional data point.

I disagree about calling LKCI. You should call them. They need to hear feedback about matters like this. Eventually, this info might reach the mfr. and changes might be made.

Sorry that your gun is down for the moment, but I'm confident that others will chime in with instructions on a quick and easy replacement procedure for the extractor.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, after 79 rounds at the range today (a total of 319 rounds down the pipe), the extractor on the BR9SS broke while shooting my reloads (the hook broke off). The reloads themselves are a bit on the warm side, but still well below the max (115gr Ranier plated round nose over 6.2gr of Power Pistol @1242 fps).

So, I guess that TNorris is not the only one to experience this at a round count well below 500.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to get a new on for a couple of weeks (I have to wait until the boss gives me my “allowance” next month) so I guess I have a little time to ask a couple of questions.

First, is it something that I can do myself, or should I have somebody do it for me (It looks like the Sear Lever needs to be removed before the extractor can be taken out)? Does it require fitting, or should it be a “drop in” part?

Second, who makes a good one? I see them listed at several different places, from as low as $12.50 up to $35.00. Some of them seem to have a very thin hook for the extractor while other seem to have a rather substantial hook (of course, this is based on pictures I see on the Internet so it might just be the pictures and not the extractors themselves). The “heaviness” of the hook does not seem to be related to the price in any way.

I think I will avoid calling LKCI about a replacement part because I am not the only one to experience this and I figure that since it is an inexpensive enough part, I might as well get something that I know is a good part and not one that I am afraid is going to fail me in another 3-400 rounds again.

Thanks.
Geez Black Jack, I was really hoping mine was a rare fluke at 361 rounds!

You can get them as a kit at BH Spring Solutions for $24.95 which includes the extractor, spring, extractor pin and sear lever pin.

It's a pretty easy operation to perform and you might as well replace the extractor spring at the same time. They also sell punches and other special inexpensive tools. I got the BHSS Masters tool kit ($95) but for this operation you need the Roll Pin Punches for $13 or the Masters Pin Punch Tool Kit for $40. There's also a $30 pin punch option...

Watch this video before you buy stuff (it's the 28 minute one on complete spring change located in the "knowledge base") and call BHSS to assuage any fears you might have. They are very helpful!

Mine was totally drop in. I felt it was easier to replace the extractor than to remove the mag safety disconnect. One thing I was concerned about... The new spring made the spring end of the extractor stick out a little more. Eventually after having a similar deal with an FEG, I used a spring clamp to hold the extractor and spring in place (I could send you a picture if this is unclear!) while refitting the pin. It looks right now on both guns and both have more than 300 additional post-op rounds.

Sounds like I need to put a couple hundred more rounds through mine...

Good luck on servicing your BR9. If you have other questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

Tim

Oh... If you order from BHSS, don't forget to order a FREE recoil spring, and at checkout use the code BHVET10 for a small discount.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Thanks.

Actually replacing the extractor is pretty simple if you have the right tools. BHSpringsolutions may have a video showing you how to replace the extractor. I would call LKCI and let them know that your extractor broke so they can fix the problem. I have yet to break an extractor but I did order a couple of extra ones from Browning parts (800-322-4626). I think they cost about $12.50 each plus shipping.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks.
What is more important than any visually apparent difference in extractors is the quality of the material it's is made of and the proper heat treatment of that material.
In other words...The "heaviness" of the hook is inconsequential if it's made of improper steel and/or not been heat treated properly.

The minimal amount of engagement/surface area in the design of a HP extractor does not leave a lot of room for error with this part.... C&S specifically addresses this issue with there extractor (by disclosing material and Rockwell Hardness), so I would go with there's or factory FN.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Thanks for the update Black Jack, and sorry to hear about the broken extractor. I was just thinking we had not had any recent range reports, and therefore probably good news.

This certainly confirms there is an issue with either the design or the quality (or both) of the part, and does not instill confidence on other internal parts. I was thinking of switching out some parts, but I think I will leave them in and see if and when there is an issue. I have about 600 rounds through the BR9 and about 300 rounds through a BR9SS, without issue....so far.

The universe of purchases reported on this forum, in the grander scheme of things is rather small, and with those small numbers, two reports of breakages on the same part is certainly significant.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses everybody.

I agree that it is troubling to see even these two examples of broken extractors on such a small sampling of these pistols. It does not bode well for the quality of their small parts. Hopefully is it isolated to the extractor and does not extend to other parts.

As or the replacement part itself, the first thought I had was indeed C&S simply because they have such a great reputation for their no-bite hammer, extended thumb safety and their wide trigger and sear. My second though was BH Spring Solutions. While BH Spring Solutions does not enjoy the track record that C&S has, in the short time that they have been in the spotlight they have built a reputation that is every bit as good as C&S. I do like fact that the BH Spring Solutions cab be had with spring and both pins that are involved in the replacement.

I am also thinking about the Mainspring tool and the Pin Punch kit, both from BH Spring Solutions. I just need to determine which Pin Punch kit to get, they have 4 different ones. Can anybody she a little light on which punches are actually needed with the Hi-Power?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses everybody.
I do like fact that the BH Spring Solutions cab be had with spring and both pins that are involved in the replacement.
Since I have 5 of these things now, I'm becoming pretty keen on having a collection of spare parts. I didn't use the new pins but I have them now.

I am also thinking about the Mainspring tool and the Pin Punch kit, both from BH Spring Solutions. I just need to determine which Pin Punch kit to get, they have 4 different ones. Can anybody she a little light on which punches are actually needed with the Hi-Power?

Thanks.
I believe you just need the 1/16 & 1/32 Roll Pin Punches for your extractor operation. It looks like if you picked them up as you need them, rather than all at once, it might cost $10 more... ?

Of the 10 tools in the BHSS $95 kit I've used all but the following:
- 1/16" Starter Punch
- Main Spring Tool
- Retaining Plate Tool
I expect to use them all one day.
I have replaced the Extractor, Trigger and Hammer/Mainspring/Sear/Sear Spring/Safety with an SFS kit. I will probably replace the firing pin and FP spring next.

- The Third Hand Tool doesn't work work with my BR9, due to a difference in exterior dimensions? Works great with my FN/FEG.
- I bent my Trigger Pin Starter Tool on it's first outing. Bought two more, just to have them.

I don't think any other tools would be needed for the BHP, other than plastic mallets and stuff.

Tim

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Since I have 5 of these things now, I'm becoming pretty keen on having a collection of spare parts. I didn't use the new pins but I have them now.

I believe you just need the 1/16 & 1/32 Roll Pin Punches for your extractor operation. It looks like if you picked them up as you need them, rather than all at once, it might cost $10 more... ?

Of the 10 tools in the BHSS $95 kit I've used all but the following:
- 1/16" Starter Punch
- Main Spring Tool
- Retaining Plate Tool
I expect to use them all one day.
I have replaced the Extractor, Trigger and Hammer/Mainspring/Sear/Sear Spring/Safety with an SFS kit. I will probably replace the firing pin and FP spring next.

- The Third Hand Tool doesn't work work with my BR9, due to a difference in exterior dimensions? Works great with my FN/FEG.
- I bent my Trigger Pin Starter Tool on it's first outing. Bought two more, just to have them.

I don't think any other tools would be needed for the BHP, other than plastic mallets and stuff.

Tim
I agree with having spare parts on hand and I expect that I will gather a few over time myself.

As for the tools... I have never had any problems with removing the firing pin retaining plate on either Hi-Powers or 1911s so I really do not see a need for the Retaining Plate Tool. For the Third Hand Tool, I have a retaining clip I made out of a heavy gauge coat hanger a few years back when i had to replace the Hammer Strut on the CD, sol I don't need that either.

However, I can definitely see the usefulness for the mainspring tool and the additional punch and punch starter for the trigger so I am thinking maybe the Masters Pin Punch Tools Kit and the Main Spring Tool. I think this will give me everything i would ever need at the best price.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't have the retaining plate tool, but I wish I did. Neither of my HP's have a firing pin safety, so I used the HD firing pin springs from BHSS. What a bear to get the plate back in place! One fp went across the room when the tool I was using to depress the fp slipped off.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
I have built up a nice collection of HP spare parts over the years. Some new, some used. Always good to have.

I have most of the BHSS tools, including the third hand tool, main spring tool and retaining plate tool. All three work great. I dont think I would have been able to replace a main spring without the BHSS tool. In addition to those helpful tools, a regular punch set, brass punches, roll pin punches, and needle files are all a must have.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The replacement extractor arrived on Tuesday, but I didn't get a chance to install it until today.

Removing the old one and installing the new one went a lot easier than I had expected. I had to remove the hammer strut assembly on another Hi-Power a few years ago and I guess, based on that experience, I had expected similar difficulties, but was really surprised at how easy this was.

Now I just need to get it back out to the range and put more, a lot more, rounds through it to make sure that there are no other issues. Unfortunately, since this weekend is Mothers Day it will be another week until I get a chance to get out there. But when I do, I have another 250 rounds ready to run through it.

If I can get an addition 500 rounds through it after that without any problems, then I will consider it "good to go" as far as small parts. Of course, I will still need to address the hammer bite before it is where I need it to be, but at least I will feel comfortable with its reliability.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Range Report Update:

I shot 319 rounds thru my BR9 SS today for a total of 1000 rounds since acquisition. Other than the broken extractor at round #361, no problems. Rather than shooting 100 rounds and reloading, I ran 150 rounds. The trigger was nearly too hot to touch at some point. If I used all my mags I suppose I could load 261 rounds. Next time, perhaps.

Other notes:
-The BR9 slide assembly fits on my Mark lll and FEG. I have not fired these combos yet.
-My FM Detective slide will not fit on the BR9, nor will my FEG slide, but it's closer to fitting than the FM.
-My Mark lll slide will fit on the BR9 but is so tight I do not think it would function.
-All of my slide assemblies function fine with each of my HPs, except the BR9

341 - 360 of 476 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.