1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I picked up my first Nighthawk, a Falcon in 38 Super. Unfortunately, it arrived the day before a two week family vacation, which included a lot of time in CA. Not wanting to complicate thing, I just left it in the safe.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gas Shotgun

My first impressions were that fit and finish were outstanding. Visually it’s very nice and very smooth, though I thought the slide felt dry. I ordered a bottle of Gun Butter while on vacation, along with an additional Ed Brown magazine.

Without field stripping, I applied the gun butter and off to the range. First mag or two, it was a jam machine. Don’t think it fired two in a row without a failure to feed or a stovepipe. After that, it smoothed out though still not there yet. Not sure if it was the aforementioned dryness or maybe the anaemic 115 grain ammo. Never stayed open at the end of any magazine either.

How did it feel otherwise? Damn that’s nice! The recoil is 22 like. Very smooth and fantastic trigger break, though the reset is longer than any other pistol that I’ve used. Not a negative, just an observation. The proof, however, is always in the target.

Circle Recreation Logo Font Precision sports

Not bad for a jam every round.

I thouroghly cleaned and lubed it this morning. Next range trip I’ll try the same ammo plus some slightly hotter Fiocchi to see if that fixes it. Still using the original recoil spring of unknown strength and will change that if the issues persist.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am kind of surprised. They test fire them at NHC and I wouldn't expect you'd need to swap out things like springs on a $4000+ gun -- every part should be premium and custom fitted. On a mass production gun, I could see swapping out springs for some specific preference, but even if Kimber, SA, or Colt are using unknown springs, I'd expect them to function reliably from the start.

I can't speak to NHC, but Dan Wesson recommends a 500 round break-in period. Like NHC, their guns are very tight, so malfunctions are to be expected until you've worn it in to that point. I have a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super sitting in my FFL's safe. I have over 1000 rounds ready, 500 "cheap" (for 2021) FMJ for break-in and then a wide variety of JHP.

Whatever the case, I am very envious. Your Falcon looks awesome.

Have you had pistols in 38 Super before? The Guardian will be my first. I researching the cartridge after a Paul Harrell video and over several months I decided I wanted my Guardian (new EDC) chambered in it.

Edit: Okay, now I feel stupid, the title says "... and first 38 Super." Doh! Reading is fundamental.

Reactions: CA-Legal-Vette

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am kind of surprised. They test fire them at NHC and I wouldn't expect you'd need to swap out things like springs on a $4000+ gun -- every part should be premium and custom fitted. On a mass production gun, I could see swapping out springs for some specific preference, but even if Kimber, SA, or Colt are using unknown springs, I'd expect them to function reliably from the start.

I can't speak to NHC, but Dan Wesson recommends a 500 round break-in period. Like NHC, their guns are very tight, so malfunctions are to be expected until you've worn it in to that point. I have a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super sitting in my FFL's safe. I have over 1000 rounds ready, 500 "cheap" (for 2021) FMJ for break-in and then a wide variety of JHP.

Whatever the case, I am very envious. Your Falcon looks awesome.

Have you had pistols in 38 Super before? The Guardian will be my first. I researching the cartridge after a Paul Harrell video and over several months I decided I wanted my Guardian (new EDC) chambered in it.

Edit: Okay, now I feel stupid, the title says "... and first 38 Super." Doh! Reading is fundamental.

Bought it used, but certainly not very much. Not even concerned enough to call Nighthawk unless issues persist. It was MUCH better as the session continued.As for a Guardian, awesome first pistol in 38 Super. Very much looking forward to hearing how you like it. My standard EDC is a DW CCO. Light, accurate and reliable. Pretty hard to beat that.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Gorgeous gun.

Mighty partial the Falcon pistolas.

Sorry about the jams.

I had a pile of jams during my range session today...unlike you...I let it aggravate me and screwed up my pace. It did give me some great practice on clearing jam, tap & racks. I'm absolutely certain it was magazine-related. (9mm Valor commander using some crappy SA mags).

I don't recall the spec recoil spring for your Falcon....I can check my manual in a few.
Maybe with a fresh spring of known weight that matches spec and some good cleaning and lube...you'll have better results.

I've had some slide lock-on-empty failures with my Falcon, using the factory-supplied CM mags....one of them. No problems with the other CM mags.

Gonna try some Cobras, too.

Hope it smooths out and settles in for ya.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I meant to add.....the gun looks pristine.

Likely it's not seen much range time.

Your cleaning & lubing like you did will certainly help.

Looking forward to seeing this jewel shine for you.

Sexy looking pistola. (y)

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is a great looking gun but I would be very disappointed in a NH not working with any factory ammo. I have one on order and you can bet I will not keep it if it does not run on day one. I have several high end 1911's with a tight fit and all ran great out of the box including a super tight Les Baer. All are .45 ACP.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yeah, it shouldn't be jambing like that especially if the previous owner shot it at all.

My preferred 38 super FMJ round is Fiocci 129's, any gun should cycle that fine.

I've found 38 supers far pickier with SD ammo as there isnt 50 differant options like 9mm.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice…welcome to the semi custom shooters club. Now, you are screwed…cause you can’t have just one!

Reactions: TXGR

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice find. My buddy has a NHC and it runs flawlessly. I know he has more than a thousand rounds through it though. Did you call NHC and ask them their thoughts? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Congrats on the first Super, Falcons are very nice pistols.

115gr bullets in 38S? I don’t think I ever saw anything like that for sale. Reloads?

·
Super Moderator
15,610 Posts
Ammo my man! .38 Super auto is all about the ammo. Trust me on this.
Agreed. Run it a little wet, and with 130+ gr. ammo like Fiocci, Federal, or warmer.

Reactions: USMM guy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it back to the range today. I took one mag of Federal 115 grain to see if just lubing it up solved the problem. Nope. Two failures to return to battery in 5 rounds plus didn't stay open on empty.

Switched to the Fiocchi 129 grain. 50 rounds, not one issue. Every mag, it stayed open on empty too. Pretty conclusive.

Shoots a lot better than I do too, though I'm getting better:

Triangle Rectangle Font Line Symmetry

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Nope, stock Federal American Eagle (note correction from yesterday). These are hollowpoints too so that probably didn't help.
I have been shooting what sound like the same rounds. Also had a couple failures to slide lock on empty….figured it was the new CM mags.….but it’s interesting that we both have had the issue when shooting this ammo.

Just picked up some more to get through The next few range sessions with…..until I can roll my own.

Font Poster Book cover Fictional character Publication

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice gun congrats. Sorry to hear about the glitches. I only have one super that I built on a Gold Cup 9mm conversion slide a decade or so ago. Mine has never had a jam, failure to feed or eject, none whatsoever, with factory or reloads. Mine is also the most accurate hand gun I have ever owned and that is probably close to 100 over 5 decades.

So, once you get it ironed out you will enjoy the accuracy of the super. You mentioned the light recoil. I was also surprised in that mine seems like it is much less than the 1911 in 9mm. I think maybe the longer round delays the impulse or something, just seems much lower as you said. Your issue could be the ammo, but I tend to think maybe you have a magazine problem.

You also mentioned that it got better as the session went? I am going to suggest you polish that chamber. A tight new gun is likely to start failing when it gets a little dirty, but if it gets better the more you shoot it that is counter and sounds like the hotter it gets and expands the better, that suggests a tight chamber which would be slowing things down until it heats up. Think about it a second, on really cold days slides come back very slowly and have a hard time going back into battery. On a hot day the thing may work fine. So, a clean slide is necessary but polish that chamber to a mirror finish and see if there is improvement. A hotter round of course would help but you need that mirror
Wood Everyday carry Air gun Tool Rectangle
finish chamber any way so why not give it a try.

Let us know what it was and enjoy that super. As I said mine is 1000% reliable, has low recoil and is the most accurate pistol I own. You have some fun coming. Here is a pic of mine.

Reactions: CA-Legal-Vette
1 - 18 of 18 Posts