1911Forum banner

First PII 1.5" trip to range

930 4
I picked up my new PII 1.5" friday night, I went to the range today. (Sunday)
I first noticed how tight the gun was when I racked the slide Friday. How can this weapon function? The fit and finish is excellent, but as I said very tight.
I shoot mostly reloads, if the gun can't eat my reloads we have a problem.
The load I chose was tight group 185 gr and some 200 gr.. FMJ wad cutter.
The first 25 round went perfect, then I had a Fail to feed. I racked the slide and fired another 160 rounds without a problem. including the round that did not feed.
I used Wilson mags, I have been having trouble with Baer mags. Both my Baer's do not like Baer Mags.
This gun is much more accurate than I am. The trigger is not great at this point, a little grit feel, I'm hoping with some dry firing it will improve.
I'm loading some ball ammo 230gr. to see how it likes that. So far so good.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,612 Posts
Steve, That's just about how my first range session went, even down to the FTF. The gritty trigger pull will get better, as will the slide/frame tightness. If you can detail strip a 1911, after about 500 rounds, take the hammer and sear out, clean everything and put some McCormick Trigger Slick (or some other quality grease with polishing agent) on the hammer hooks and sear. That trick lowered my trigger pull by 3/4lb and really smoothed out the feel. It took about another 500 rounds to do it though. Also, same here regarding the Baer mag, switched out for Wilson's. Good luck with your new 1911.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Primersinmyshoe, I just field stripped the gun, I was surprised to see the PII does not have a full guide rod. I wonder why in a gun like this would not use the full guide rod? My Concept VI has the full lenth rod.
Both weapons have recoil buffers, I'll take for granted they use the same one? Anyway, thanks for responding.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
My PII came with a full-lenght guide rod, bought about 2 1/2 years ago. Last year I read the interview with Mr. Baer, he said he doesn't believe in them, and I guess he stopped putting them in. Lately, I've read here that the PII doesn't come standard with a guide rod any more.

Could be construed as a step backwards, but maybe he's trying to be the anti-Kimber...?

· Registered
3,612 Posts
I forgot to mention that I tossed the shok buff because I couldn't release the slide when it was locked back by pulling the slide back and letting it go (aka the slingshot method). The buff was taking up the little extra travel room needed to do it. Also, I bought, from Les Baer, a full length guide rod and plug. For me, it makes taking the gun apart easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.