1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recently bought a colt 1991, i just realized the differences between the "orm" and "nrm" 1991's. mine is "orm" of all that ive read here it seems like noone owns any orm's?

the only difference is the look correct?

also, i'd like to modify it. what are the recomended first modifications for reliability and consistancy? or does it need it?

also does anyone recommend a certain phoenix area smith?

thanks a lot for the help, i did search a ton but didnt find all the answers.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I like the ORM in matte black, I was even willing to buy one recently when I was on my latest Colt quest, but I found an NRM instead. The ORM are good guns, the only so called bad thing was the MIM extractors.

Cosmetically people complain that the "billboard" rollmarks are ugly but I didn't mind them. They also lack the little horsie :) , but they are still Colts in my eyes ;) .

Congrats,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
A few good pistolsmiths in the Phoenix area are Ted Yost, Nelson Ford, and Ed Cameron. If you wanna head toward Prescott, there's Don Williams and Chuck Rogers. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Yep, Nelson Ford worked on my Colt LW XS Commander. Very nice attention to detail.

Differences.....The majority of the ORMs don't have the dimple barrel throat, or MIM extractors. I've had my 1991 ORM for almost 12 years. Still it's one of my favorite pistols and has never failed me.

Congrats on your purchase.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've had my ORM 1991 for going on 11 years and wouldn't part with it.
The only problem was when new- a loose front sight right out of the box (good UAW quality!)
Had zero problems since, and it eats everything it is fed without complaint.
Very reliable, and definately a "keeper".
MAG-63

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have an ORM with the matte blue finish and big, ugly roll marks.

Nothing needed for reliability and consistency.

I did have a set of King's 3-dot fixed combat sights installed and had the action worked to bring the trigger to about 4.5 lbs.

This pistol has been very reliable, feeds all sorts of ammo from all kinds of magazines from Wilson's to Chip McCormick to Colts to gun-show el-cheapo's.

It is as accurate as I am.

Take it out and shoot it a few times before you have anything done to it.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Here's my 12 year old ORM......I love it! It has always worked even straight out of the box with ZERO break in rounds un-like others we know about.....

Regards,
Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have been very happy with my ORM STS 1991. I've had mine for about 2 years it has been absolutely reliable and combat accurate. I'm planning on leaving this gun as is with the possible exception of the extractor and the grips have already been changed.

I've been debating picking up either an ORM Blue 1991 or another ORM STS 1991 as a project gun.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
SamColtFan said:
Here's my 12 year old ORM......I love it! It has always worked even straight out of the box with ZERO break in rounds un-like others we know about.....

Regards,
Sam
Cool blaster Sam, was that a factory package or did you trick it out yourself?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another suggestion seconding Nelson Ford (602-992-0050). He has done flawless work on all my Colts, S&Ws, and Springfields. He is located near 32nd Street and Shea just off the SR51. His website needs some work but it is www.thegunsmith.com.
Stay safe out there,
Ken

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
JeffC said:
Cool blaster Sam, was that a factory package or did you trick it out yourself?
Thanks JeffC......
Except for the grips, that's the way I had my smith set it up back in 1991. Little details like Trijicon night sights, Wilson match barrel bushing, crisp 4# trigger job, Commander grip safety, Commander hammer, Smith & Alexander mag well and checkered housing, and CMC 8 round Shooting Star magazines, 18.5 # Wolff recoil spring and heavy duty firing pin spring with a Wilson FLGR rounded out his work. The grips I added later. The pistol was used as a duty weapon. (Those were the good old days.)

No work was done on the frame ramp or the barrel throat. It was beautiful from the factory.

This is one of the original parkerized 1991s not the later matte blue ones. And, the pistol worked right out of the box. Just decided to make it my own.

I love this Colt!

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
470 Posts
ORM?

SamColtFan, are the grips on your ORM Hogue square bottom? I'm thinking I need some of those when I pickup my pistol this weekend. RB;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts