1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the longest time, i have been wanting to get a Glock pistol. i read all about how reliable it was, and safe, easy to operate. now, i'm sure it's a great handgun and all, but i recently had the opportunity to shoot a 1911 .45 ACP. THIS IS THE GUN FOR ME!! is there one manufacturer that makes the best model, one head and shoulders above all the rest? i already know what caliber to get, and it looks to me like Colt makes the best one. there are as many out there as gun makers, so any input as to who makes the best 1911, as far as reliability, safety, longevity, would be GREATLY appreciated. tia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well. Golcks are great guns, my 23 was my first pistol and it has proven to be a very reliable gun. However, I just got a Kimber Stainless 2 and it is a night and day diference. now that I have my 1911 the glock is just sitting in the gun safe collecting dust. Now that isn't to say that I won't carry my Glock agian. If I was going to go somewhere where i was Going to get dirty or wet or maybe I for whatever felt like having a couple 13 round mags on me then Glock it is. But I now trust my life to my Kimber and I would recomend it to anybody that wants a reliable and pretty 1911.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can only speak for myself.
I have owned Springfield Armory, Colt, Smith and Wesson and Les Baer 1911's.

I think the best value out there is the Smith and Wesson 1911's.

I don't care for the new Colts and with Colts current business practices I will never buy another Colt. You will end up spending an additional $200-300 to add on things that come stock on the S&W.

If you have more money to spend I would reccomend the Les Baer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, if you're looking for "the best" then I would steer you towards a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or Rock River. However, you can still get a good shooter that will bring you years of reliable fun for far less than one of the brands above (if they're out of your budget range).

Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck with your decision. I would recommend hanging out and reading some of the previous posts. Find a good gun dealer that has a wide selection of 1911's and have fun shopping! I think shopping for a new gun is an enjoyable experience, but it can be overwhelming so take your time. When it comes to 1911's, you will have a LOT of different brands to choose from. Almost all of them are good solid guns, so the decision will boil down to how much money you have to spend and what YOU like the best.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No "Best"

If there was a single "Best" 1911 running around I kinda doubt there'd be 15 manufacturer's forums floating about this forum :)

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Colt simply can't afford the liability, as they still are trying their hardest not to end up in bankruptcy court again. I know it sucks, but if it was your neck in the noose you'd see things a bit differently too.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would say that you can't go wrong with a Baer. I will not commint on the rest but for price point and quality the Baer is very hard to beat. There are of course more expensive guns out there that I also like and want but the Baer line are closer to the price point with the other production guns, but the quality is far surperior than the others.

I have been hearing good things about S&W lately, never owned one and other than this forum I have had no one reccomend one to me but, I will check into it to see if I need to add one to my line up.

Good luck though.

A link to some of the best prices if not the best prices on Baers out there.

www.saintlouisarms.com

do a gun search, choose Les Baer, and look up the one you want. they range from 1,250.00 up to unaffordable. S&W is also on there as well as others to look at. Also www.lesbaer.com will get you to the Baer site. :rock:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
I don't care for the new Smith & Wessons and with Smith & Wesson's former business practices I will never buy another Smith & Wesson. You will end up spending an additional $200-300 for things on the Smith & Wesson that you can't remove, and don't come on a Colt. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Best 1911

Good question. No simple answer. There are more expensive custom 1911's for $2000+ if that's what you want.
You did'nt state what you were going to use it for. Concealed carry vs strictly home defense, or both. Were you looking at the 5,4 or 3 inch barrel models. Colt, S & W, Sprinfield, Kimber and others make good 1911's. I would imagine $900 to $1200 would get you a good one.
Reading this and other forums you'll find that people have strong preferences and strong dislikes for what ever reason. Some like Fords and some like Chevys.
A good gunsmith should be able to take a good 1911 and modify (bells and whistles) it the way you want, and do a fluff and buff on the moving parts.
Before you spend the cash, I suggest you spend some time visiting web sites and gun shops. Try to find a gun shop that has a rental display so you can fire different models and see if you prefer one over another. Gather information to make an informed decision before you say " I do".

·
Registered
208 Posts
hack said:
If there was a single "Best" 1911 running around I kinda doubt there'd be 15 manufacturer's forums floating about this forum :)
I think that sums it up best. Personally, I've had no problems with my Colt or my Springfield.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What ya can afford!

Do some research, find one you like and can afford ( I wouldn't go too cheap though on a 1911) and buy her.:)
Then start saving up to purchase one you really really want like a Les Baer or Ed Brown or Wilson Combat or ???.;)
Unless you have deep pockets; then buy the best you can from the start.:p
I currently have a Kimber Grand Raptor II which cost a little under $1200. and a Kimber Pro CDP II that I got for $875. Both were new and bought within the past couple of months.:D
My current carry gun is a Glock 23 but it will soon be replaced by my Pro CDP II.
Oh, by the way, 1911's are sort of like Lays potato chips. Can't seem to have only one! :biglaugh:
I do have my sights on an Ed Brown Kobra CarrY but have yet to break the news to my wife. How many days till Christmas?:scratch:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gatman said:
Do you mean their refusal to sell postban weapons to civilians?
Colt has decided that it only needs to sell to Government, they don't need civilian sales.

They no longer make the Python and the rest of their revolvers. Colt did make the great revolvers.

They refused to sell their AR's after the ban expired.

While SIG, Glock and S&W set out to design and have a cailber of ammo with their name on it Colt is fighting to have their name taken off. Colt is sending letters to ammo manufactures stating that they cannot use the word "Colt" in ads or ammo boxes. You no longer own a 45 Long Colt you will have to shoot 45LC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Flyerman said:
for the longest time, i have been wanting to get a Glock pistol. i read all about how reliable it was, and safe, easy to operate. now, i'm sure it's a great handgun and all, but i recently had the opportunity to shoot a 1911 .45 ACP. THIS IS THE GUN FOR ME!!
Looks like the 1911 strikes again! Simp

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Find yourself a good used Dan Wesson. I own two and they are by far better than my Kimbers. Kimber,however,is hard to beat for value on a new pistol with all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The "best"? Hmmm... I guess we all have our "personnal best", but there is no such thing as a "best" 1911 out there.

This being said, you will rarely find a better 1911 than one that has been hand crafted with dedication and passion. A true custom 1911 is my idea of the "best" 1911, and in that field, names like Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Springfield Custom, Dan wesson and Rock River comes to mind.

If you're not planning to go into the custom field with price tags over 2k, then any of the popular makers could fill your bill. I'm personally a Springfield Armory fan, and I think their lifetime warranty and super service rule the market. But, you'll find extremely pleased customers of Colt and Kimber just as well. The last that come to mind, but that might be suiting for your needs, are the very cheap ones like Norrinco and Rock Island Armory, and the new kids on the block, S&W and SIG. Not bashing at anyone, just giving you my idea of the "ranking of the best" out there.

Happy shopping! 1911s are a true passion, and you can learn somthing on them every day.

Oh one last thing. If I had to pick one 1911, making a balanced choice between custom but affordable, my pick would go for the Professionnal model from Springfied Armory. Link to SA page

Alex.

·
Banned
922 Posts
RickB said:
. . . .with Smith & Wesson's former business practices I will never buy another Smith & Wesson. . . .
Blaming the current management at S&W for past business practices is as logical as blaming George Bush for the Clinton assault weapon ban.

·
Registered
127 Posts
HI Flyerman here is my experience with 1911s and gun manufactures.
I have a Kimber custom 11 .45 that from the box has been 100% and 3 Kimber .45 that have been crap.
I also have a Springfield .45 bi-tone that from the box 100% and one that was crap.

Kimber made me pay to send back each gun and returned them in the same condition..not working! 2 guns returned 3 times, 1 gun returned 2 times.I paid every time! 2 were finely fixed and 1 they traded for another model as they were not able to fix it. I paid to have the new gun sent to me...

Springfield sent a paid UPS pick up slip returned gun same condition,sent it back again and Springfield again sent paid UPS pick up slip.Gun now works fine.

S&W 2 guns returned they sent paid shipping both returned working great.

Bushmaster AR15 would only shoot 1 brand of ammo,Bushmaster sent paid UPS slip ..rifle returned shooting everything.

I no longer buy Kimber or any brand that won't pay to send back new gun for repair..Just my take on this...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Wow you mean you actually bought 6 brand new guns, and out of all of them, only one was working corectly and didn't needed to be sent back? You are the most unlucky firearm owner I ever met :eek:

Alex.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts